PDA

View Full Version : Another Territorial Dispute

Wendy Kates
07-04-2013, 10:10 PM
This is another "interaction" image that I captured in Florida in April. Several egrets were involved in this apparent dispute...hence the clutter, and overlapping wings of other birds. Despite the clutter and confusion (much of which I cropped out), I thought the intensity of the interaction made the image worth posting. I would appreciate your feedback and suggestions.
Canon 7D
70-200 f/4 lens
f/4, 1/8000s
NR, cropped (to about 20% of image)

Diane Miller
07-04-2013, 10:46 PM
I am the lowliest of the birders here, but let me hazard a guess, based on what I've seen at our local egret rookery. This is (at least among other things) "feed me" behavior, with the juvenile somehow stimulating the parent to regurgitate food. But exactly how it gets down the juvenile gullet has so far eluded me. I've also seen the green feet on what I think are juveniles (snowy egrets), so I'm guessing this isn't a dispute but just normal feeding behavior.

Deferring now to those who actually know something...

Wendy Kates
07-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Diane, thanks for suggesting this. I was actually wondering about this possibility too. What led me to conclude it was a "dispute" is that I remember a huge ruckus at the time that I captured this image (and the rest in the series). But it is totally possible that the ruckus had more to do with hunger...perhaps competition between a couple of juveniles for the food.

Diane Miller
07-05-2013, 11:35 AM
Yes, a small riot ensues with our local young egrets when a parent comes in. There may be a lot of sibling rivalry involved, too. The bird rescue people come regularly to pick up young ones that have fallen or been pushed out of nests, and I've seen two juveniles engaging in this behavior. Don't know if one is trying to get the other to feed it, or if it's hand-to-hand combat.

Maybe an expert can educate us? Much to wonder about in bird behavior.

Wendy Kates
07-06-2013, 08:00 AM
I checked the shots that I took just preceding this one, and found one that looked a lot like this one except there was a blurry, gray blob (ie., a fish!) being passed from one egret to the other. So I think your interpretation is correct....thanks! Perhaps an egret expert can also chime in about this behavior.