PDA

View Full Version : The colourful Dwarf

vishaljadhav
07-04-2013, 01:51 PM
This is my favourite bird (Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher) , have tried to film it on video for 3 years and still filming it.
Realised it this year that i may have many hours of videos of this guy but no images so thought of spending some time clicking
this one clicked last weekend is one of my first attempt to click this bird , its monsoons in India now and these small guys prefer shade and love slow shutter speeds it seems :S3:

5D MIII + 400 f2.8 + 2x tc
ISO 1600 , f6.3 , 1/16
rested the lens on the car window forgot the bean bag :S3:

i can see the grain on the body due to very low light and i did go to ISO 6400 and i could only see grain multiply as the light was going from bad to pathetic
This is not a great image but thought of sharing, this is cropped 70% of the original
Critiques and suggestions welcome
let me know what you feel, this season i will try and produce a decent image of this bird, would welcome your suggestions.

Vivaldo Damilano
07-04-2013, 02:17 PM
Stunning bird, like the space on top, work great as the KF is looking upwards. I cannot suggest much, looks like he is so small, not easy to get in close.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
Beautiful bird and a really nice perch. The pose is sweet too, I like it. I think you may have some artifacts in the bg due to blur or NR? If this were mine I would attempt to tone down the bright area in the bg.

jack williamson
07-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Very beautiful, colors are wonderful, so is the perch. I see the weirdness in the BG as Cheryl has pointed out.

Jack

Loi Nguyen
07-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Vishal, I tried to take image of king fishers last week in Kenya with a 500f4 II + 2X III, so I know how tough it is to get close and get decent images. They do like the river and have favorite perches, so I think it depends on how much time you spend, eventually, you will get one close. 1/16 SS is way too slow IMO and I see some lack of details around the head, perhaps due to motion blur since these guys like to look around. This is a beautiful bird and I hope you will get one in good light and higher SS.

Good luck

Loi

Marina Scarr
07-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Great job on getting this sharp at such low shutter speed. I love the strong colors of this image, and I am good with the BG. I like this little guy's pose and he shows up so well against that BG and on that perch with all those little details!

christopher galeski
07-05-2013, 02:50 AM
stunning bird,nice image,like the perch and BG,great pose,and as been said sharp,at such a low shutter speed.well done.

Girish Prahalad
07-05-2013, 07:11 AM
very well done Vishal! lovely comp & good sharpness for the SS. BG & perch are excellent.
hope you get to make some good ones at a closer range.

Ken Hadfield
07-05-2013, 08:10 AM
Wonderful bird which you did very well to capture in the conditions at the time. Well done and here's to better light next time

Stu Bowie
07-05-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi Vishal, striking colours on this fellow, and love the inquisitive pose. I really like the 'shady' setting here, together with the moss covered perch. I hope you get to capture many more.

Satish Ranadive
07-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Vishal;
Magnificent image with very nice composition. Love the pose,colors and BG.

Regards,
Satish.

MohsenVahedipour
07-07-2013, 12:20 AM
What a cute lovely colorful KF! Nice BG & Perch.