PDA

View Full Version : The Yellowstone River

Jeffrey Sipress
05-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Early in the day. We got there at very first light hoping for some elk to cross, and I made this while waiting. No elk showed, but this image made up for it.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/hoarfrost1.jpg

David Steele
05-05-2008, 02:08 PM
You're right Jeff, the image certainly made up for uncooperative elk. The photo has beautiful tones and I do like your presentation.

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2008, 03:35 PM
Hmm Jeffrey,
I've looked at this one for quite a while B4 deciding to comment. I'm torn on this one......I think the tonality,exposure, & mood are perfect. Part of me like the bright FG brush (as it is placed in the comp very carefully).......but when I view this cropped as a pano just above the bright FG bush.........I really like that.......but I'm drawn to the original as the FG doesn't seem that out of place........I'Ve visualized without the BR brightest bush.......and that seems to work beeter for me.......but puts the image out of balance then. Again.........this is strictly for my tastes..........I think i prefer the pano crop because it emphasizes the mood...........but that aside, very well done and presented

Harold Davis
05-05-2008, 05:55 PM
at first glance i was wowed. read roman's post and then i tried the pano. the pano crop is strong as thunder!!!!! congrats on the capture. this one works well either way, but i do prefer the pano. you really captured a mood in this one. awesome!!

Jeffrey Sipress
05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks, guys.

Roman, I'm glad you took the time to make a well thought out decision!

This image represents how I felt at that moment, and the style that I was into at that time (2003). Perhaps today I would have incorporated your suggestions, which are excellent.

Thanks for not cropping and re-posting!! (jk'ng)

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-05-2008, 08:48 PM
Beautiful image and the mood captured here is really outstanding Jeffrey !!

Robert Amoruso
05-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Great B&W study. I could go with either the pano (as suggested by Roman) or Jeff's original which has great FG interest and a dramatic sky. Both look great. Nice work.