PDA

View Full Version : Brown Bear (C) with new toy

Andreas Liedmann
06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
Hi folks
just appear from grave for the last sun beams of the day, very lazy summer here in good old germany.

Just a quick image taken in my Zoo , some weeks with my new cam, quite difficult to get used to it, with limited time.

Nothing special , but want to participate in here.

EOS 1Dx

EF 500 IS L

Tripod

F 5,6 / ISO 800 / 1/320sec

Processed in CS6

Comments as always very much welcome , hope lots are coming .......

Hope to be more often visible sooner or later.

Cheers Andreas

Rachel Hollander
07-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Hi Andreas -Not sure why there were so many views without comment. Congrats on the new toy. The image looks great with excellent detail and sharpness. Just watch the halo on the top of the nose/snout.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
07-01-2013, 05:45 PM
You captured a wonderful expression and beautiful lighting on the face of this grizzly. Very nice details in the fur. There must not be a fence around the bear enclosure, giving you very good viewing and photographing. Looks like your a getting on just fine with your new equipment!

Diane Miller
07-01-2013, 07:14 PM
What a lovely, intimate portrait! I know it's not their nature, but this one looks like somebody's cute, shaggy pet dog.

I love the depth of field, too. It looks like you are very close to it, but with that lens I trust you were a safe distance. The BG looks like you are in a natural setting.

The patch of lighter fur at the left edge draws my eye; I'd suggest cloning or cropping it.

I hope to see more posts from you!

Steve Kaluski
07-02-2013, 06:09 AM
Hi Andreas, firstly a big thank you. I know time at present for you is incredibly precious and if you could, you would be as active as you were a while back, however I do appreciate you not just posting an image, but more importantly, posting comments on other threads - that is the BPN Community spirit.:cheers:

Now to the image, I am glad you did not sell your 1DX, as IMHO this is one of your best images from a PP POV, very nice indeed. This body delivers consistent images, especially at higher ISO, the more you play with it Andreas the better you have to understand it. I'm still scratching the surface and after last week I realised this camera has so much hidden depth you need to explore, as it will really allow you to be far more creative in your thinking, trust me, the results I have seen will blow your Lederhosen away. :bg3: You have a nice depth, but more importantly clarity & detail with a good sense of sharpness, something I know you were keen to achieve and I think you did that with this image. Obviously using the longer lens will create that nice BKG, plus keep you safe from harm, as bears have a big comfort zone. If you lightened the eye just be careful, cracking detail in the nose. Not too sure about the crop, doesn't grab me as such, so perhaps a slightly tighter, square crop may be better, WDYT? Perhaps head on might be good next time. :S3: I might also suggest a hint more mid tone overall, although I did drop the mid tone curves on this one. :w3

Keep the hard work up and don't be afraid to take the instruction book with you, with this camera you never know when you may need it, or when you need to change settings etc. Sadly I cannot give you a set-up as this camera is ALL to personal and how you shoot.

Enjoy and look forward to more when you have the time Andreas. :wave:

Cheers
Steve

PS Now this really is a Steiff Bear

Andreas Liedmann
07-02-2013, 09:52 AM
Thanks Rachel,Diane ,Nancy and Steve

for watching and leaving a comment.

OP is FF, but i like the tighter view , thanks Steve for pointing that.

Rachel will look better for slight halo , next time , i hope.

Steve - eye too light ? or lightened the wrong way ?

head on shots quite difficult due to light fall into the enclosure ,or nasty concrete BKG, i have some try to process one , but light was really bad.

Anyway it is good to be back for short time - i will try to comment on other threads even without posting an image myself .

Thanks again Andreas

Steve Kaluski
07-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Did you lighten the eye? If so, based on the OP I think you could try a fraction darker, but just personal taste.

Post when you can, but also images too. :cheers:

Andreas Liedmann
07-02-2013, 10:20 AM
Yes lightened slightly , to bring out that glow, used a color dodge layer selectively.

Morkel Erasmus
07-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Cracking detail and sharpness here, Andreas. Congrats on the new toy indeed.
Like Steve, I am grateful for your comprehensive participation of late despite your constraints at home.
This guy looks like a character indeed :cheers:

John Ippolito
07-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Andreas, I just love the light, pose, detail, and expression captured on what looks like this older female. I like Steve's square crop on the image - nice to see square crops not discounted in critiques- sometimes they work quite well - ask any old Hassy shooter:S3: Very nicely done !!