PDA

View Full Version : Meadow Brown

Jonathan Ashton
06-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Monopod, Canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO640 1/125 sec f8 fill in flash -0.66
I am posting a few shots of meadow brown butterflies, one of our most common species here in UK. Having said that I doubt if I have seen more than 20 adult individuals all year. I am posting the image as usual along with the jpeg of the original, I thought it may be interesting to see what your thoughts were regarding how much background Photoshop work may or may not be desired. All comments welcome, by all means submit what your version may look like by modifying the original.

Jonathan Ashton
06-30-2013, 06:18 AM
...and here is the original file

Mitch Haimov
06-30-2013, 09:56 AM
I greatly prefer the cleaned up version. You found a good balance between removing/softening distracting elements and remaining faithful to the original scene. It does appear that you left behind a couple bits of the spent flower at lower rear of wings; those bits now seem to be coming out of the wings.

(This is the second time recently that I have clicked "Post Quick Reply" only to have my reply disappear into the ether. Strange.)

Nancy Bell
07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
The clear choice for me is the cleaned-up image with the bkgd greatly softened and slightly mottled. The stem that you kept is nice in that it repeats the angle of the flower & the green is soft enough. It also gives a hint of what the bkgd is.

Steve Maxson
07-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Hi Jon. Very nice job on the cleanup of a rather cluttered looking original - especially considering all the detailed edges you had to work around! I like the even light and you nailed the focus on this understated, but attractive, little butterfly. And it looks like you managed not to blow out the yellows. Very well done!