PDA

View Full Version : Calopteryx cornelia.

Dave Johnson
06-30-2013, 04:36 AM
Haven't posted in macro for what seems like an age. Got side tracked with bird photography after finally receiving my 'big' lens. It feels good to be back :S3:

This was taken yesterday morning on a grey, overcast day at a local stream.

Shooting info: Canon 60D, 100mm F2.8L lens, tripod, Live view 5x mag manual focus, shutter release, F4, 1/50sec ISO 500. Almost full frame.

C&C welcome, thanks for looking.

Jonathan Ashton
06-30-2013, 06:55 AM
Wow what am impressive image. I like the delicacy and the colours are absolutely superb. My only minor reservation is the head - is it a little soft?

Dave Johnson
06-30-2013, 07:08 AM
Thanks for looking Jon. I thought the same but I think it's those compound eyes playing tricks on us! The image added is a massive crop of the head from the RAW file. Looks Ok to me. What do you think?

Mitch Haimov
06-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Wing detail is exquisite. Perch is very cool and I like the BG, tho I think you could bring the brightest parts of BG down a bit. Head and very front of thorax appear slightly soft compared to wing and abdomen. I think some of that is the compound eye as you said, but crop reveals the hairs on mouth parts and "shoulders" are not quite crisp. Still, a very nice image. Welcome back.

Nancy Bell
07-01-2013, 08:33 AM
Wonderful composition with the perch and the damsel fly in line with each other, and a lovely soft, featureless bkgd. I agree the wing details are impressive. The head details also appear a bit soft to me, but agree compound eyes don't provide "hard edges" for the focus to grab onto.

Steve Maxson
07-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Hi Dave. Beautiful colors, very interesting texture in the wings, nice soft light, and a good comp. I agree that the head "appears" a bit soft - you might try some additional selective sharpening there just to see if it makes a difference. Overall, this is very well done!