PDA

View Full Version : Smart objects Photoshop dummy

Tom Rambaut
06-27-2013, 07:12 PM
Have an issue that I can't seem to fix - call me a Photoshop dummy.

I'm doing BW conversions in NIK Silver Efex Pro 2.

I opened my image in Photoshop, Created a 2nd background layer called it BW conversion and changed this layer to a smart object. I have then opened the NIK software done a BW conversion and closed the NIK software. I now want to clean up small bits that have only become evident after BW conversion but seem unable to use the clone tool or the spot healing brush tool on either the smart object layer or the original background layer. I have tried to create a new background layer above the smart object layer but no changes come through in the BW image.

I' sure this is simple!

Thanks Tom

Diane Miller
06-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Not sure I really followed all that -- your font is almost the same color as the BG. But you can't clone a Smart Object.

Dan Brown
06-27-2013, 08:00 PM
Hi Tom. Try double-clicking on the smart object layer. This should open a PSB dupe of the layer's image. Then you can clone or whatever and when you are done, close the PSB and click yes to the message that appears (can't remember what it reads). You will see the action of the NIK plugin being re-ran and when it is done, your changes should appear on the original image that wouldn't allow cloning before, MAKE SENSE? Good luck.

Tom Rambaut
06-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Hi Tom. Try double-clicking on the smart object layer. This should open a PSB dupe of the layer's image. Then you can clone or whatever and when you are done, close the PSB and click yes to the message that appears (can't remember what it reads). You will see the action of the NIK plugin being re-ran and when it is done, your changes should appear on the original image that wouldn't allow cloning before, MAKE SENSE? Good luck.

I will try that Dan. THX

Tom Rambaut
06-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Not sure I really followed all that -- your font is almost the same color as the BG. But you can't clone a Smart Object.

Sorry Diane - not sure what happened with the font.

Tom Rambaut
06-28-2013, 03:26 AM
I will try that Dan. THX

THX Dan that works

Steve Kaluski
06-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Tom you need to export your file from PS as a Smart Object, then create another Smart Object layer, via Layers in the Tool bar above if I understand you. You are limited in what you can do and if you wish to clone etc, you will need to flatten and then save as a Tiff.

Dan Brown
06-28-2013, 01:09 PM
Tom you need to export your file from PS as a Smart Object, then create another Smart Object layer, via Layers in the Tool bar above if I understand you. You are limited in what you can do and if you wish to clone etc, you will need to flatten and then save as a Tiff.Steve, if you open the image from ACR as a smart object, then when you double click the SO layer you are returned to ACR where you can use the limited tools there for clone/healing. The advantage to this is that all the changes will be applied to all SO layers. The disadvantage is that the tools in ACR are very limited IMO. If you open the image as a non-SO, and then convert to SO, then if you need to do some cloning/healing, etc, all you have to do is double click on the SO, which opens a PSB copy of the layer. Just do your work and then click to close the PSB layer and click yes at the message that comes up. The returns you to the SO and after re-applying the filters, if any, the changes that you made to the PSB will be applied to the SO layer. I don't know if this is the RIGHT WAY to do this but is sure works.

Steve Kaluski
06-28-2013, 01:24 PM
Not tried it Dan, it just depends on what you want to do I guess, I only use it when I need to control key areas and retain the file as a RAW.