PDA

View Full Version : 2 Stilts and reflection

Bob Miller
06-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Not sure how I should crop this...any help would be appreciated!
NikON D3s
1/160 sec at f8
ISO 1600
500 mm + 1.7 TC
Comments also appreciated!

Jeannean Ryman
06-27-2013, 04:55 PM
This is a neat image Bob. I like the high key effect. On my monitor, the blacks seam hazy, so you might need a curves/levels adjustment. As to the crop, I would try a couple and see how you like them. My first would be to crop some off the top and left side leaving the ratio similar. The second is one I normally don't like much, but think it might work here...a square crop with the intersecting lines bisecting the birds on top and in the reflection. Just something to think about, because I'm no cropping expert!

Diane Miller
06-27-2013, 08:32 PM
I'd definitely take some off the top and left, and off the right as well if you want to go square. How far to go toward square is maker's choice, but the subjects fill a fairly square space, and I like to let the subject determine the crop. No need to leave room to move into here.

Jeff Cashdollar
06-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Bob,

First of all...I really like this picture...love the simple subjects against a muted high-key background....sweet. Conventional cropping would pull the subjects towards one of the corners and manage the negative space based on look, feel and harmony in the frame. Moreover....what works to support the subjects and what pulls from the subjects. Consider working the eyes and and breathing more life into them...

I would use the old piece of note book paper on the screen method to set the crop. I often reference it....I learned it from the NY School of photography taught by Jay Maise. Try and post a few options and lets vote. Again...this is a strong picture...nice eye here!

One more thing: love the color on the legs!!