PDA

View Full Version : the thrill continues

John Chardine
06-26-2013, 07:59 PM
Yes, it's a big thrill to follow a Peregrine Falcon nest in a natural situation. Here the female is off the chick and roosting on a stump close by. A while after the male returned with food. The stump looks like it was made for the bird to sit on! The posture is at the tail end of an intense bout of preening. The image shows how well the bird is camouflaged against the forest BG.

Crop and sharpen. Some spot NR in darker areas of the BG.

Camera: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF500mm f/4L IS II USM +2.0x, @ 1000 mm
Program: Manual
ISO 1600, 1/320s, f/9

Steve Uffman
06-26-2013, 09:50 PM
Awesome! No doubt a big thrill

Raymond Lee
06-26-2013, 10:36 PM
Great capture John! Nice environmental shot!

Don Railton
06-26-2013, 11:15 PM
Beautiful John...!

Love those talons and the way the tree 'hugs' the bird.. no nits...

DON

christopher galeski
06-27-2013, 01:17 AM
nice image,dont see them in trees were I live,nest on cliffs and old quarrys,like the shape of the tree,nice pose on this eyas,sharp were it needs to be,good detail and nice light.well done.

Gerald Kelberg
06-27-2013, 02:12 AM
Fine image, John! And what a fabulous experience.

PhilCook
06-27-2013, 03:02 AM
The camouflage coloring in this spot is obvious, lovely encounter, stunning looking raptor for sure.

John Chardine
06-27-2013, 07:40 AM
Thanks all. The nest is on a red sandstone cliff above a beach which is flooded most days with the high Bay of Fundy tide. At the cliff top is dense Acadian forest.

Joe Senzatimore
06-27-2013, 07:42 AM
A fantastic image which shows the environment and the beautiful way this bird can blend into it's surroundings. Might take a bit off the left , but just my taste. Still a sweet shot.:5

Randy Stout
06-27-2013, 08:23 AM
John:

Neat pose, great talons, interesting perch.

Because of its brightness and location in the foreground, I find the leaves to the right side of the frame a bit attention grabbing.

I might consider very slightly toning down their luminosity so they recede a bit more in the image. Minor tinkering for sure, but part of the fun for me.

Cheers

Randy

Satish Ranadive
06-27-2013, 09:30 AM
Excellent image of lady Peregrine. Very nicely camouflaged with tree.
Love the pose with fluffy feathers,very nice colors and details.
Would like to see it in tight crop, crop on top and LHS.

Regards,
Satish.

Arthur Morris
06-27-2013, 02:49 PM
What no building??? I love the image as above but feel that it could have been improved slightly:

1-in the field, by pointing the lens a bit more to the left, perhaps to eliminate the angled stick.
2-in post by lightening the part of the face and the head that seem shaded.

EXP and SH perfect. Love the breast detail and the talons.

gail bisson
06-27-2013, 04:43 PM
Dear John,
Can I come and visit you this weekend? I am only 6 hours away and am a good house guest!!:bg3:
Seriously, what a find and I hope you gets oodles of time with this pair.
I love the shot because of the perch. Love the textured wood and great IQ. I also like the detailed look of the talons.
Well done,
gail

John Chardine
06-27-2013, 05:18 PM
Thanks everyone.

I have some alternative crops out of the camera but that pesky little twig won't disappear, but I can make it go away!

Gail- I will PM you. It would be great to have you down.

mohammad reza shahab
06-28-2013, 04:16 AM
Great capture ! Love the pose,perch.