PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Skirmish (or "What'd You Call Me?)

Bill Dix
06-26-2013, 04:01 PM
I haven't used audio very much, but have tried it on a few outings over the past several weeks, sometimes with more success than I'd counted on. While I was photographing one Prairie Warbler, a second one joined in the fun, and I was lucky to get them both in the frame. After this shot, I stopped the use of the audio, not wanting to interfere with the social order of the Prairies. Pruned out a distracting branch, ran NR and smoothed out the BG, levels and USM on the birds. Dodged the face of the RH bird, which was partially shaded. C&C appreciated.

D7000, 700mm, ISO 1000, 1/640s @ f/7.1 manual, fill @ -1.7 EV, tripod, audio.

Lyle Gruby
06-26-2013, 05:15 PM
This is very cool Bill. Their interaction is great. Nice use of flash, perch is very nice except the OOF leaf in the FG. Looks like you've been having a blast with your migrants.

Bill Dix
06-26-2013, 07:08 PM
Thanks Lyle. Actually, Prairie Warblers are among the few warbler species that breed here during the summer months, but I'd never had a good encounter with them before. I wish my Photoshop skills were up to the challenge of the oof leaf in the center of the frame, but I couldn't figure what to do with it, other than burn the end of it a bit to make it less distracting.

Raymond Lee
06-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Great capture Bill! Love the interaction between the two birds! Nice use of the flash, and it's barely noticeable.

christopher galeski
06-27-2013, 01:24 AM
nice image,good interaction with the birds,great BG and light.

Girish Prahalad
06-27-2013, 08:10 AM
great interaction! can almost hear their voices. lovely comp, details & BG.

vishaljadhav
06-27-2013, 02:00 PM
Nice image
the interaction looks good and nicely captured
great details and lovely BG

Satish Ranadive
06-27-2013, 11:09 PM
Bill Sir,
Love the calling poses of both birds, very nice colors, lights,details and superb composition.

Regards,
Satish.

Shawn Zierman
06-29-2013, 01:21 AM
Very unique image. What I enjoy most is how well the whole bird can be seen by looking at both subjects. I also enjoy the intensity of the interaction. Sure it's a bit artificially induced in this case...a bit of the darkside of using audio with birds on territory I suppose...but it's an excellent representation of interactions between rival males that undoubtedly takes place all the time.

Bill Dix
06-29-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone.