PDA

View Full Version : Down by the Lake (mono)

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2013, 03:30 PM
Here's the monochrome version of my previous post.
I like both...but perhaps prefer this one.
Which do you prefer, and why?
:t3

Don Railton
06-27-2013, 07:01 PM
Hmmm, hard choice Morkel... This is still a very nice image. I generally prefer colour (and don't know why...) and I have a slight bias towards the colour variant of this image. I liked the light on distant mountain range in the colour variant, its where my eyes ended up. This effect is not so strong in the B&W version so maybe that's the reason but I am not sure really...

DON

Don Railton
06-27-2013, 07:16 PM
more thoughts..

The composition is the same so it can't be that. Maybe its simply that I see in colour and so I feel more 'at home' with colour images.. B&W (for me) maybe is best undertaken to emphasise form and texture more than to convey accurately a striking scene. The reflection and mountains make this scene for me, where form and texture are not big players, where as I can see the 'Texas Sandbox' image as a B&W I would appreciate because of the sand patterns and curves of the sand hills.

best get back to work now but thanks for posing the question...

DON

Anette Mossbacher
06-29-2013, 10:48 AM
I see more dramatic in the color version. Maybe you need to add more "drama" in the conversion. Don't know. So far, I like the color version more. Gives me more to look at!

Rachel Hollander
07-03-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi Morkel - this works well as a B&W but I too prefer the color version.

TFS,
Rachel

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2013, 02:21 PM
Another vote for the color version right now.....but tweaking a few areas in the B&W may help give more impact to the B&W. I'm thinking a bit lighter on the pier and trees? Just a thought to explore.

Andrew McLachlan
07-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Hi Morkel, I am going to vote for the B&W...not sure why but for me the B&W conversion just works better for this scene. With a few additional tweaks to it I think you will have the additional impact Roman suggests.

Morkel Erasmus
07-07-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions...

Roman - you're welcome to do a quick repost to show the tweaks you have in mind?

Anette Mossbacher
07-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Grabbed the color version and gave it a try :bg3:
That is what came out of the box :w3
No sharpening applied at all.

Ciao
Anette

James Fuller
07-11-2013, 11:32 PM
Nice image Morkel...I usually prefer color images but I do like the way this one looks in B&W.

Repost looks nice Anette.

Jason Stander
08-04-2013, 03:30 AM
Hello Mr Erasmus... your mono version is beautiful.

I have seen the colour version... although your mono version is great (perfect tonal range and details)... I prefer the colour.

Lovely peaceful and classic leading comp... what a lovely part of the world... WD!