PDA

View Full Version : Hatchlings - Can You Guess the Species?

Daniel Cadieux
06-26-2013, 11:40 AM
Doing a bit of yard work recently and I was trimming some thick vines growing on one of my outdoor walls as they were starting to seriously overtake the eavesthrougs . While still cutting away from a ladder I discovered a quite hidden active nest, and at that time a parent bird was still sitting in it...inches away from my hands! I took a break from the chores to pull out the camera...the only lens that I could use is the 100mm macro, which I was able to do on the parent bird for frame filling head images, and here on two hatchlings and a still yet hatched egg. The hatchlings have been growing very well and parents are currently busy feeding them some nice juicy tidbits as we speak (but they have become very protective of the nest so I am watching from a distance!)

So, can anyone take a stab at the species?? I'll reveal the answer in my next thread....

Canon 7D + 100mm f/2.8 macro, 1/40s., f/4.5, ISO 1600, fill-flash @ -1.7 FEC, lens wedged in the top corner of ladder railing and rung, cropped for comp (about 75% FF), NR to all except the two subjects, added more contrast than usual.

Geoffrey Montagu
06-26-2013, 12:27 PM
The nest is awfully neat for a House Sparrow, but the hatchlings brown fuzz jackets and the spotted egg lead me to House Sparrow.

Karl Egressy
06-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Excellent finding and nice image, Daniel.
Based on the colour of the egg, my guess would be: American Robin.

Ian Cassell
06-26-2013, 12:43 PM
Pteradactyl? I really like this image, Daniel. I might be tempted to tone down the bright green on the viewer's right. The eggs should be a species give-away, but my oology is weak.

Geoffrey Montagu
06-26-2013, 12:44 PM
Daniel, On second thought, House Sparrow hatchlings don't have brown fuzz jackets.

Stu Bowie
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Hi Dan, super 'crying' pose from the youngster in front, and just love the fuzzball of hair on the youngster at the back. Good work with the 100mm.

Im not even going to try and guess an ID, as Im not familiar with all your species in your part of the world. :w3

Vivaldo Damilano
06-26-2013, 12:51 PM
Fantastic finding in your back yard, they are very cute, nicely done.

Shawn Zierman
06-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Great image Dan. The unhatched egg makes it all the more interesting. I think Geoffrey is correct...House Sparrow.

Bill Dix
06-26-2013, 03:34 PM
Great find, and well captured. Worth a break from the yard work; glad you found them before cutting them down. I've never seen a House Sparrow hatchling, but the splotchy egg looks about right for that species.

Lyle Gruby
06-26-2013, 05:23 PM
I can't stop laughing at the one sleeping on the left. Great find. I suppose I'll follow the crowd and throw in a house sparrow guess also.

Don Railton
06-26-2013, 11:22 PM
Hi Dan
I am not that familiar with birds in your region, but I am going to guess a Robin as well. My second guess is a turkey...:S3:

DON

PhilCook
06-27-2013, 01:55 AM
If you have the Common Blackbird over there, then that is what it looks like to me.