PDA

View Full Version : Castillo San Marco - IR Pano

Michael Pancier
05-05-2008, 08:08 AM
figure I'd try something a little different -- a B&W IR Pano of the Castillo San Marco in St. Augustine. Trying to shoot this location, one is left with the conclusion, that Pano is the real way to go if you want to truly capture this National Monument.

I stitched 10 images (landscape mode) from the raw files using PS CS 3 Photomerge.

I then used Nik Vivenza to dodge and burn areas of the image and did final sharpening and crop in CS 3.

I was happy with this one as I managed to keep enough foreground to have the entire moat in the image.

IR 20D + 17-85 USM IS @ 17mm
1/15
f/11
ISO 200
Manual Mode

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Michael,
The moat.........and the balance of the tree make this one for me. I was wondering originally about the RH side.........but I didn't like cropping it out as it adds to the U shape you have going here. The tree and the distant turret bounce me back in. I've got to start trying these. Very nicely done!

david cramer
05-05-2008, 05:13 PM
I love IR work, but have never tried a pano. You work here is impressive. It has a nice balance and much intrigue.

David Kennedy
05-06-2008, 01:26 AM
Michael,
I really like the drama that the IR / b&w lends to this image. I agree with Roman that keeping the "U" of the moat really adds to the image. I might consider trying to make the image a little less centered by cropping from the left. And there is a small dark spot that I've circled that could be cloned out to make the image flow even more smoothly.

From a technical perspective, I would probably suggest that using a wide-angle lens for a panorama hurt the composition because of the way that wide-angles tend to "bend" or "curve" clouds when panned for a panorama. I've illustrated this with the red lines above. This is a personal choice, but I know that I personally try to avoid going any wider than 50mm for a stitched pano because of this very effect. I point it out simply because it's the first opportunity I've had to do so on these forums.

Cheers!

Robert Amoruso
05-06-2008, 09:10 PM
Nicely seen Michael. It is a tough monument to photograph. I think David has some valid suggestions worth considering.

Maxis Gamez
05-07-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey Michael,

This is very interesting, you were lucky not to capture one person. With that said, David have some valid points but I must say that I like it as it is too!

Keep up the good work!