PDA

View Full Version : Bolinas Ridge

Diane Miller
06-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Hubby and I were chasing the full moonrise Saturday evening, hoping to get an aerial shot as it rose over Mt. Tamalpaias or San Francisco. Alas, air pollution combined with the moisture from the ever-present marine layer made moonrise less than spectacular. Way less. But as we went by Bolinas Ridge on the way down, on the southern part of Point Reyes, looking toward the almost-setting sun yielded this. Sometimes bad air is a good thing. (This was pure marine layer. Way upwind of the Bay Area smog.)

Canon 5D Mk III, 300mm f/2.8 + 1.4x III, IO 400, f/5.6, 1/1250 sec. "Platform" was a Taylorcraft F-21A, somewhat similar to a Piper Cub but with more limited shooting angle since the door can't be opened as in a Cub. HH aiming through a 1 ft opening in the slide-back window. Lens kept out of the slipstream (more screaming than slipping) and not in contact with the major airframe vibration. Tricky with this lens -- I usually use the 70-200 -- easier to handle. Lens hood removed to allow the lens to get closer to the window. Thanks to the modern world of excellent lens coatings -- sun was definitely right into the front surface of the lens.

Don Railton
06-24-2013, 11:28 PM
Super image captured under difficult conditions Dianne. Sepia tone esk.. I am all to familiar with the spacious comfort (not) offered by light aircraft and the challenges that provides. Well done. DON

Diane Miller
06-24-2013, 11:39 PM
Thanks, Don! What do you fly??

Our average ground speed coming from over Tiburon to Santa Rosa was about 40 mph. About 1.5 hrs!! Stiff NW wind. Could have driven it via the freeway in 1.1.

Don Railton
06-25-2013, 12:32 AM
I built a Varieze but sold it to get into Photography. I spent about 20 years as a member of the local homebuilt community, had lots of fun... we (they) have their own airfield just South of Perth. 40 MPh is slow... plenty of time to compose I guess. DON

Diane Miller
06-25-2013, 10:04 AM
Very cool plane! We're into antiques, but know a lot of homebuilders. Had coffee with Dick Rutan the other day when we stopped at the Mojave, CA airport for lunch on the way back from a trip to the east coast.

Vivaldo Damilano
06-25-2013, 02:11 PM
Stunning image Diane, it's very different to the normal landscape image posted here. I like the layered hill's and vertical light rays. Nicely done.

Diane Miller
06-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Thanks, everyone! Will post another in a new thread -- I got 5-6 as we cruised along the ridge.

Rachel Hollander
06-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Hi Diane - nice color and I like the layers and vertical lines of the rays.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-26-2013, 04:06 AM
Daine, this is moody, spectactular and still surprisingly simplistic.
Love it.
:5

Anette Mossbacher
06-29-2013, 10:54 AM
Hi Diana, very nice image, love the layers and color :bg3:

Roman Kurywczak
07-03-2013, 02:17 PM
Very nice layers and colors! Neat perspective too! I have to try that one time!

Andrew McLachlan
07-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Hi Diane, lovely work!!! I love all those layered hills and the sunbeams shining over them.

James Fuller
07-11-2013, 11:36 PM
Nice use of the telephoto lens to compress the hills in this image. Light rays are a nice bonus! :5

John Ippolito
07-17-2013, 04:03 PM
Hi Diane, a superb image in compression, shadow, and exaggerated beams of light. Excellent perspective, and I'm equally impressed you managed to swing a 300 2.8 inside the T-Craft !!

Diane Miller
07-17-2013, 04:12 PM
Thanks, everyone! I didn't know if I would have room to manage the lens, but just barely did. With a 1.4X at that. (I don't occupy a lot of volume myself -- that was some help.)

The side window just slides back enough to shoot through and keep the front of the lens out of the slipstream. Will have to try it more often. The 70-200 is the usual weapon of choice.

And, of course, didn't know we would find this magic light. You never know what to expect.