PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Endemic Birds: Hawaii Creeper

Vishnu Reddy
06-24-2013, 01:38 AM

Details: Canon 7D + 500 mm F4 L; Shutter: 1/500, ISO:800; Aperture: 5.6; Processed in LR5 (cropped and brightness/contrast/clarity/vibrance adjusted).

Took this image of a juvenile Hawaii Creeper in Hakalau NWR last week. This is an endangered species belonging to the honeycreeper family but mainly feeds on insects. Conditions were challenging as it always is with small birds in the forest. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Mahalo
Vishnu

gail bisson
06-24-2013, 06:08 AM
It is fun to see all these new species (for me) from Hawaii.
Sweet little creeper.
BG is busy and I appreciate how difficult it must be to get a clean shot but keep trying.
I like the perch and the cool lichens and would have loved to be able to see the feet.
Good details in the body but I see a bit of motion blur around the eye. Good HA and nice catchlight,
Gail

Shawn Zierman
06-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Cool species on a very nice perch...love all the lichens. The bird reminds me of an american goldfinch (as shown here anyway)...At the time of capture, I think you could have used a bit stronger fill flash to balance the ambient light. In post, I wonder what desaturating the blues in the background, and selective NR to the background (most needed in the darks/greens), might do to improve the image....