PDA

View Full Version : African Purple Swamphen

Morkel Erasmus
06-23-2013, 03:03 PM
I am way behind on processing any avian images, so I thought I'd get to this one taken in February 2012 :Whoa!::eek3:.

I was lucky to snap some frames of this normally shy character skirting across the water from a hide I was stationed in at the Marievale Wetlands near Johannesburg.

Techs:
Nikon D3s
Nikkor 500mm f4 VR-II
f7.1 | 1/3200 SS | ISO-2500
Crop from all sides for framing (I chose to go with the splash-trail behind rather than more space in front)
About 75% of the original image

dankearl
06-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Beautiful color and habitat Morkel.
I assume you had no room on the left?
The non traditional comp works fine, but I would have preferred more left and less right.

Morkel Erasmus
06-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Thanks Dan. Have more room on the LHS, but I didn't want to crop out the splashes it made along the way. A taste thing, I would think :w3

Karl Egressy
06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Like the habitat and the colours, Morkel. I'm behind bot not so bad lol.

Morkel Erasmus
06-23-2013, 03:56 PM
Like the habitat and the colours, Morkel. I'm behind bot not so bad lol.

It's all those darn elephants and lions that keep me occupied :w3

#AfricanProblems

Cheryl Arena Molennor
06-23-2013, 06:15 PM
I'm always behind myself. Just so much to shoot all the time:). I think I would have preferred room to the left for this one Morkel. I'm with you on leaving the water trail, I just don't see much of one here. The birds pose is good as is the detail and exposure.

Daniel Cadieux
06-24-2013, 05:59 AM
I'm OK with the crop, I actually would not mind a tad more at right for the splash near the edge. I like the reedy habitat (I may tone down the brighter ones) and the colours look really good.

Shawn Zierman
06-24-2013, 09:17 AM
Great exposure work, the greens/darks are so clean at this iso! I think the space between the splash on the right edge and the bird is intriguing....quite the run/jumping distance. The bird itself is gorgeous and well lit. Great action capture sir.

vishaljadhav
06-24-2013, 01:16 PM
I love the inclusion of the splashes, the swamp hen looks very similar to our swamp hen may be a shade or 2 darker than ours
Those feet are always fun to watch

Backlog no i dont want to talk about it, look at something i posted something from last year a few days back :bg3: