PDA

View Full Version : Predaceous Diving Beetle

Steve Maxson
06-21-2013, 11:44 AM
Same large Predaceous Diving Beetle (Dytiscus sp.) - this time breathing at the surface. 2.5 gal. aquarium setup. 1D IV, 100 mm macro, 125, f/16, ISO 160, 2 remotely fired 430EX flashes (manual mode, diffused), tripod, live-view manual focus. If you position the flashes just right you pick up this nice green sheen - otherwise, the beetle is a dark-chocolate brown color on top. I removed some of the floating bits of debris that were illuminated by the flashes and ran nr on the background. All comments are welcome and appreciated.

Mitch Haimov
06-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Another fine image, Steve. Composition works well. Like the green sheen, tho the rich brown would work well with the green BG also. Not so crazy about the eye shine. The bits of debris add to the natural look without being distracting.

Steve Maxson
06-22-2013, 12:20 PM
Thanks for the comments, Mitch! I agree about the eye. These beetles have very reflective eyes and any bright light seems to make them light up like this. I'm not sure what, if anything, can be done about it. :S3:

Mitch Haimov
06-23-2013, 12:20 AM
Seems like a good application for cross polarization if you can afford the light loss. Might save on some of your clean up work too, for that matter. In any case, a very pleasing image as presented.

Jonathan Ashton
06-23-2013, 04:23 AM
Steve I think this is one of your very best, it is such a natural looking image, great detail and colours and the beetle is also doing something. I appreciate there is little to be done about the eye, it does not really bother me becasue that is quite simply how it looks when light is on it. I have used polarising lenses in similar conditions hoping that would help, well it does a bit here and there but it doesn't eliminate the reflection altogether by any means. This is a real gem of a shot - hope you have some more with this particular set up.

Jason Stander
08-02-2013, 10:25 AM
Hi steve... Impeccable... am really speechless... WD!