PDA

View Full Version : Giraffe

Rachel Hollander
06-20-2013, 09:19 AM
Taken late afternoon in the Timbavati Game Reserve, South Africa in August 2012.

Canon 5D3
100-400 @ 210mm
1/800
f6.3
ISO 800
EC +.33
HH from safari vehicle, composed in camera with giraffe coming from corner but cropped some off left and top for comp, levels, curves, selective color adjustments, NR on bg, sharpened in CS6.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Stu Bowie
06-20-2013, 01:58 PM
Hi Rachel, the light looks great, which in turn has brought out the colour of the giraffe nicely. I like how you have placed the giraffe in the frame, and he is seperated from the BG so well.

Anette Mossbacher
06-20-2013, 02:37 PM
HI Rachel,
the lights works very well on this Giraffe. Just found the other Giraffe in the BG :S3:
For me the Giraffe looks very well, as well I like the comp. I tried my paper trick on the screen, but your comp suits good for this one.

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
06-21-2013, 04:23 AM
Hi Rachel, it's quite a 'busy' image as there are a lot of elements within frame, so for me you are not getting that full potential of separation, although it's easy to look at after the event and comment. For me what I do like is the additional giraffe on the LHS, for me it makes the image. Taking into account the time of day, I would still look to dropping the red, especially in the blue of the sky and then selectively up the foliage colour for a bit more colour range, it will still have the overall feel, but IMHO would help. I wonder if it's heat haze that presents itself within the BKG?

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
06-21-2013, 08:05 AM
Thanks Stu, Anette and Steve. Yes, without the other giraffe in the bg I would have binned the image. It makes it for me too. I do think it is probably a bit of heat haze affecting the bg. I'll take a look at the color again.

Thanks,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
06-21-2013, 05:53 PM
I very much like the tilt of the head and the eye looking at you. The brightness of the 2 long branches in front of the back giraffe are distracting but I can only half-heartedly suggest extensive cloning.

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
I like the inclusion of the 2nd giraffe, Rachel. Light looks good albeit not fully into golden hour yet.
I agree with Steve's suggestions on getting more colour from the image.

Rachel Hollander
06-23-2013, 11:09 AM
Thanks Nancy and Morkel, much appreciated.