PDA

View Full Version : Tatty White Back Vulture

Brian Steele-Drew
06-20-2013, 08:50 AM
Location: Kruger National Park, [sad storey this].........An Elephant was reported with a snare deeply cut into it's trunk, a KNP ranger was called out to the scene and decided it was too badly injured and humanely [if that is possible?] put out of it's misery. This was a couple of hundred metres off the road in thick bush, within minutes vultures were dropping out of the sky [alas too far for any good shots]. After 2 hours there must have been close on two hundred birds. This White Backed Vulture flew fairly close to my vehicle, a bit soft but I like it's long finger like primaries. Sorry about it's plumage! this is one very tatty Vulture!

7D, 400mm, AV, SS 1250, F8, ISO 800, Exp. Comp. +1 1/3, AI Servo
PP This is full frame, NR, Sharpen, Shadow & Highlights129724

Joe Senzatimore
06-20-2013, 09:22 AM
Nice detail under the wings and fine exposure as well. love the comp.

Karl Egressy
06-20-2013, 10:26 AM
Excellent flight pose, light and shooting angle.

Marina Scarr
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
This vulture may be a bit ratty, but you've made it look pretty darn good. Lovely flight position with those wing tips curled, and the combination of clouds and blue work well in the sky as a backdrop.

Stu Bowie
06-20-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi Brian, comp works well with this flight pose, and you have brought out the detail on the head very well. Great show of the wingspread, and the underwings are well exposed.

PhilCook
06-20-2013, 04:59 PM
Nice one Brian, I also love the wing tips in this, and the wide wing spread, color and is great and like the hint of blue sky as a backdrop, sharp and nice clear eye............so very sad to hear of yet another poaching disaster, I was watching something on TV a few nights back about the Black Rhino in one of the Parks there is now extinct from that region purely as a result of poaching...grrrrrr!

Robert Kimbrell
06-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Impressive photo Brian. Love the massive wing spread. I like the light on the bird, but it's very warm. Was the sun very low in the sky?, Nice sharpness in his face.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
06-20-2013, 06:49 PM
Love the light and detail you got on that face. The movement of the wing tips is great too

christopher galeski
06-21-2013, 01:22 AM
very nice flight shot,sharp with good detail,nice BG with the clouds in.well done.