PDA

View Full Version : Snoozing

Anette Mossbacher
06-20-2013, 08:02 AM
Lion portrait, shot in Botswana 2010.

Started in LR, straightened in colors and WB, conversion Silver Efex in LR, back in LR for a few more adjustments. Over to PS Midtone contrast and a bit dodge/burn.
Sharpened in PS6

MKIII
f/6.3 ISO 1000 ( weather overcast around 1:30pm )
300mm f/2.8 & 2x ext. II

Rachel Hollander
06-20-2013, 09:24 AM
Hi Anette - I think this works well due to the angle of the head despite not usually being a fan of images with the eyes closed. The conversion looks good to me.

TFS,
Rachel

Anette Mossbacher
06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Hi Rachel,

thank you very much for your comment. Yep eyes closed, but I do not mind to much. Lions are always sleepy :w3

Thanks so much

Have a great day

Ciao
Anette

Steve Kaluski
06-21-2013, 04:04 AM
Hi Anette, yep exactly what lions do, sleep for hours.

I don't mind the comp, perhaps a little more above and you have the tones there too although I do find them a little too contrasty in parts. I would look to just taming things down a little then mask to bring out key parts. this goes back to what I was saying a while back, using light to 'sculpt' the form, if that makes sense? Perhaps something like this? Perhaps Peter or Morkel could add some thoughts too?

TFS
Steve

Anette Mossbacher
06-21-2013, 01:06 PM
Hi Steve,

thank you very much for your RP. I will give your suggestion a try to see what I can manage :S3:
painting with light, I know :w3

Thanks so much

Ciao
Anette

Nancy Bell
06-21-2013, 05:34 PM
I like the pose as a more innocent look to the King of Beasts. Wonderful details in the nose and whiskers. For me, I would like to see a bit more on the right, to give more space to the mane that is touching the edge. I like the increased definition of Steve's post.

hirandesilva
06-22-2013, 01:21 AM
Like the way the eye of the viewer is drawn to the Dark area of the nose and then to all the different shades of grey/black. Fine sharp detail.

Hiran

Morkel Erasmus
06-22-2013, 02:26 PM
I too like the overall look&feel despite the eyes being closed (at least he wasn't lying flat!)
I like your OP, but also like what Steve has brought out in terms of structure and form. For contrast, it's somewhere in the middle ground between the two for me...:S3:
Tonal range and detail rocks.

Anette Mossbacher
06-22-2013, 04:53 PM
Nancy, Hiran & Morkel, thank you very much for your input. :w3 It is highly appreciated.
I do have a little space around this guys head, a bit more above. Will check it in again tomorrow into LY and see what I can do with it contrast wise and a few more things I have seen :w3
Thanks a lot

Have a great weekend

Ciao
Anette

Gabriela Plesea
06-24-2013, 01:42 PM
Oh Anette, your sleeping lion is much more beautiful than my awake lion:bg3: Great PP work!!!

Warmest regards,

Anette Mossbacher
06-24-2013, 02:01 PM
:bg3: Thanks so much Gabriela for your time to stop by and comment.
Have a great week :w3

Girish Prahalad
06-26-2013, 07:46 AM
excellent portrait! wonderful moment caught here. details are superb.
Prefer the tonality in Steve's re-post. Would love to see the color version if possible.

Dperkell
06-28-2013, 07:37 AM
I love it!

Shreyas Mantri
07-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Excellent image, and I like Steve's take on it - especially the burning on the right cheek and the chin!
TFS