PDA

View Full Version : Golden Emperor moth

vishaljadhav
06-19-2013, 04:01 AM
This is the Golden Emperor moth (Loepa katinka) one of the bigger moths found around us especially seen in the monsoons, i was out to shoot for the monsoons and got this few days back
saw this one perched in the night and made the image without touching anything around, its the vipers season and i really dont like touching things in this season where i dont know of the surroundings , will post what all other things i saw there

5D MIII + canon 100 mm macro L IS
1/500 , f16 with the flash on ISO 100 no exposure compensation

The left wing is a bit damaged or worn out a bit i kept it where it was since this was the only individual i saw in 3 days of my trip.
Critiques and suggestion are welcome
thanks for looking
regards
vishal

Brian Steele-Drew
06-19-2013, 07:48 AM
Certainly a very striking moth!. I am on a laptop, the left side seems a lot brighter than the right. If it were mine I would clone out the leaf and stem on the left and make it an all black BG [not the stem it is setting on] I think it would be an even more striking shot Vishal

Norm Dulak
06-19-2013, 04:05 PM
This is a beautiful moth. But I too would try to brighten the right side to bring it into better balance with the left, and I'd clone out the green elements on the left.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gabriela Plesea
06-20-2013, 12:46 PM
Beautiful Moth indeed, Vishal! Lovely sighting! I agree with Brian, if you do not mind cloning it would be great if you could clone out the bright green stems on the left. I do like the dark shiny leaf though:S3:

Kind regards,

Steve Maxson
06-21-2013, 02:04 PM
What a striking moth, Vishal! I agree with the others that this very nice image would be even better without the plants on the left which tend to draw my eye. Some careful cloning could "repair" some of the worn areas on the left wing (if you're OK with doing so). I'm looking forward to seeing more of your monsoon shots!

Adrian David
06-23-2013, 09:56 AM
Stunning moth, indeed! The suggestions made above, would improve to another level, an already beautiful photo!