PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - part fell off my 500mm

Matt Travis
06-18-2013, 06:37 PM
Hi - after only a week of use a piece fell off my new Canon 500mm f/4 IS, and I didn't see where it came from. The piece is black soft plastic or hard rubber, and is oval like a skinny race track with a slot all of the way through it. I think maybe it is intended to slip over the piece of metal that pokes out on the lens hood when the knob is tightened - to hold the hood onto the lens. That would make sense because otherwise there is metal on metal contact. If I fully extend the knob I can press this piece onto the metal tab, but if I try to retract the knob as though to mount the hood the piece is immediately pushed off. Glue would not likely hold it in place, and I don't want to try that until I know for sure that's where this piece goes. Can someone with a Canon IS ii have a look at your lens hood and see if the part that moves in and out is bare metal or if it has a black sleeve on it? Much obliged!

arash_hazeghi
06-18-2013, 07:44 PM
post a picture.

I think it is the just the protective rubber cap for the knob that you are supposed to toss after unpacking your lens.

Matt Travis
06-18-2013, 08:25 PM
I am afraid I cant post a picture as I am new to your website and don't yet know how. But I incorrectly described the piece as oval. It is a box 1/4 inch tall, 1/4 inch wide, and just shy of 3/4 inches long. It has a slot in it, so you could say it is a hollow box open on both ends. I was working on loosening the knob with the lens hood stowed when this part sprung into view. It reminds me of a lens strap 'keeper', but I am not missing one.

Marina Scarr
06-19-2013, 06:02 AM
If you pay the $20 annua membership fee, you can upoad pictures right from BPN's server. It's the easiest way.

David Stephens
06-19-2013, 08:57 AM
Congrats on the new lens.

Daniel Cadieux
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM
The only thing I can think of is that piece goes on the neck strap, to keep the straps together after installing. Otherwise I do not see anything else that resembles that on my lens.

Shawn Zierman
06-20-2013, 04:17 AM
Good exposure work Dan. The subject is just a bit too centrally placed, and I think another round of sharpening will do the trick.... :)

Lyle Gruby
06-20-2013, 05:22 PM
Love the angle of the stap, agree on the sharpening. The bright black thing in the ULC is a little distracting also. :cheers:

Daniel Cadieux
06-20-2013, 07:51 PM
Ha! ha! Shawn and Lyle:t3