PDA

View Full Version : High Key Phalarope

Paul Lagasi
06-18-2013, 06:15 PM
This morning I had a male and female red phalarope walking down the edge of Troutman Lake in Gambell, Alaska. I lay down on the beach and waited but soon realized the sun would be at the birds back. The Phalaropes kept coming so I used the spot metering function on my D800, the resulting image is right out of the camera.

If for some reason it doesn't meet guidelines any you want to move it because background is blown to OOTB be my guest.

D800, 300 f4, 1/800, f6.3, iso 400, aperture priority

gail bisson
06-18-2013, 06:44 PM
Hi Paul,
Nice to have met you, albeit briefly in Nome.
The high key works well here. Very nice image.
I would be tempted to put the bird higher in the frame and more to the left.
I like the birds' head position. I would apply some contrast to the bird as it looks like there was a bit of mist in front of the bird. It would make the eye pop as well.
I would also apply a bit of NR to the reflection of the phalarope as it looks a bit grainy.
Gail

Grace Scalzo
06-18-2013, 07:13 PM
Hi Paul. I like your high key approach. I'm bothered by the lack of clarity though. You could try Gail's suggestions, but I think that the issue lies with the original capture and the conditions that you were photographing in.

Marina Scarr
06-18-2013, 07:44 PM
So glad you had a chance to make it to Nome, Paul!!!

Not an easy capture in these conditions. Here's my take with a change in crop, some NR on the BG and a curves adjustment.

Paul Lagasi
06-19-2013, 12:46 AM
Thank You for comments.

Gail, I am still in Gambell, and hope to leave for Nome and Aurora Inn tomorrow. Its been ok here but unfavourable winds and temperatures have stopped the real rarities from showing up the last few days. Earlier was decent we had a few good birds, namely Siberian Rubythroat and Olive-backed Pipit.

I am using my laptop to edit my images and I'll have to wait until I get home to post anymore, the screen just doesn't show the noise. This laptop sucks, I should throw it in the Bering Sea :tinysmile_shy_t:

Marina I like what you've done with the crop and the sharpening, thanks for the like in facebook.

I hope I can get out tomorrow 9 days is enough, 19 ABA Life birds so far.

christopher galeski
06-19-2013, 02:52 AM
very nice,like the repost.

Robert Holguin
06-19-2013, 03:25 PM
Very nice shot.
Great shooting angle, love the high key,nice details, and the repost is much better.
Well done.