PDA

View Full Version : The Rooiputs Lions and I

Gabriela Plesea
06-18-2013, 02:13 PM
At the time the Lion Clan of Rooiputs (Kalahari) invaded our camp we had just returned from a morning drive and were planning a shower and breakfast. Old Charlie the father was as calm as always and relaxed under a tree while his progeny wondered around the camp looking for something to play with. We risked losing our solar panels, gas stove, water containers, anything that could be played with, dragged or just chewed...But the subadults surprised us by first entering the ablution facilities...

After getting into the car and gently pushing them away from the camp (the pride consisted of about nine members, big and small), we went and showered one by one, keeping an eye on the lions lying under trees nearby. My partner then took a photograph of me behind the facilities which I later used to create this image, cloning my own shape into a photograph I took of the young lions earlier that day.

We have encountered a great number of lions in the Kalahari over the years, and have learnt so much about them. We have a great deal of respect for these majestic creatures and we would never engage in any kind of risky behavior. This photoshopped image I post for your amusement, please do not try getting so close to lions under any circumstances:bg3:!!!

Warmest regards,

Marina Scarr
06-19-2013, 05:55 AM
Thank you for sharing this picture. What a great story, and I was pretty happy to read that this was a composite!!!

Steve Kaluski
06-19-2013, 07:39 AM
What's happened to a bit of 'adventure' here? :bg3:

Glad you shared this and the story behind it.

Gabriela Plesea
06-19-2013, 11:42 AM
Thank you Marina and Steve! The "adventure" happened later that night, when Charlie the big male roared at 10:45 pm in front of our tent, walking on our mat...We stayed in bed and decided to let him do his thing, none of us was brave enough to go out in the dark and confront him...

Warmest regards,

Stu Bowie
06-19-2013, 01:38 PM
Great composite Gaby. Now where was that gust of wind. :bg3::bg3:

Gabriela Plesea
06-19-2013, 03:28 PM
The gust of wind blew my towel away:bg3:...

Christopher Miller
06-19-2013, 08:24 PM
Nice story and composite, Gabriela. TFS

Cheryl Arena Molennor
06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
Another great story and a fun image to go with it. Sounds like such an adventure.TFS