PDA

View Full Version : Can someone recommend good monopod?

shane shacaluga
06-18-2013, 05:57 AM
Hi, I am looking to purchase a good monopod and head for my 300f4 lens + TC. current body is a D7000 but may go for a D800 soon

Can anyone recommend something light and sturdy which I can take on my daily walks. I dont think I need space grade materials but something i can carry around with no problems and will give me great results

Not sure of the type of head to go for on a monopod either

Any advice will be most welcome

Thanks
Shane

Joe Murphy
06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Hi Shane,

The Giottos MML3270B coupled with a Manfrotto 234RC quick release tilt head, would be ideal for your setup, I have used this combo on my 7D + 400mm f4.6 without any problems.

David Stephens
06-18-2013, 10:22 AM
Make sure that you quick release is an industry standard Arca-Swiss style plate. Many makers have non-standard plates. Manfrotto, for instance, has three or four different plates which are not Arca-Swiss compatible nor are they compatible with each other.

shane shacaluga
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
Thanks a lot for the recommendation

Would it say Arca-Swiss on the specifications as I have not seen that on a few monopod heads I have viewed

Regards

David Stephens
06-18-2013, 11:59 AM
Kirk, Wimberley, RRS, Induro, Markins, etc. will generally say "Arca-Swiss style" in the specifications, but some will say "Universal Style" to avoid mentioning the competition. It's not always crystal clear, unfortunately. Buy Arca-Swiss and never doubt, but plenty of others are competitive in quality.

Marina Scarr
06-18-2013, 07:18 PM
I really like the Monostat b/c it swivels and allows you so many angles.