PDA

View Full Version : Lens Renting vs CPS

Doug West
06-18-2013, 05:11 AM
I have Artie's Nickerson Beach IPT coming up in July. I'd sure like to try
an IS 600 instead of my non-IS 600 for once.

Of course the first choice is lensrental, which would be about $300 for
that time frame and version I.

But I was thinking of another possible option...joining CPS Gold for $100
and evaluate one of their 600's.

The one negative I see on that is, when the time comes to request a 600
from Canon, their stock might be empty and lensrental might be empty.

Anybody have any opinions on how well Canon's stock is for the big lenses?

Thanks
Doug

David Stephens
06-18-2013, 10:18 AM
CPS is a great way to try out equipment, but not a reliable way to schedule a loaner for a particular time. Last I looked (a few weeks ago), they didn't have any 600mm SII available.

That said, CPS is excellent. I think that all serious Canon photographers should join for quick service, discounts on repairs and the loaner program.

Ian Cassell
06-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Is one able to join if one is not a professional photographer?

David Stephens
06-18-2013, 01:30 PM
Is one able to join if one is not a professional photographer?

Yes. A few years ago they changed it to requiring that you've spent a certain amount of money with them, measure by which pieces of equipment that you own. You get credit for everything from you flash to your super-tele lens. You qualify for various levels based own what equipment that you own.

Ian Cassell
06-18-2013, 01:37 PM
Yes. A few years ago they changed it to requiring that you've spent a certain amount of money with them, measure by which pieces of equipment that you own. You get credit for everything from you flash to your super-tele lens. You qualify for various levels based own what equipment that you own.

I will have to check, then, because I have a fair amount of Canon gear (including a 500/4)

David Stephens
06-18-2013, 01:55 PM
You get big points for super-teles.

mikeojohnson
06-20-2013, 01:29 PM
If you have a substantial investment in Canon gear, CPS is the way to go IMO.
Mike

David Pugsley
06-21-2013, 09:22 PM
Per CPS website, CPS is for:
Who qualifies as a professional image maker?
A full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images.

This has always kept me from joining. That said, I know plenty of people who have joined, but do not qualify. I suspect if Canon receives a check you're in. :) Maybe I should give it a go.

mikeojohnson
06-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I believe they changed the qualification process a couple of years ago. You go online to the cps site, input your equipment into their tool, it assigns points to each piece of gear. When you are done you can see what level of CPS you qualify for.

CPS requires a fee but I have found the benefits to outweigh the cost by a significant margin.

Depending on what level you sign up for, the benefits can be accelerated service, discounts on parts and labor, free check and clean, and free shipping. I sent a 1dx in last Monday and it was returned on Thursday.

Mike

David Stephens
06-22-2013, 11:27 AM
A full-time self-employed individual or an employee of a professional imaging business who plays a direct role in the creation of moving or still images.

This has always kept me from joining. That said, I know plenty of people who have joined, but do not qualify. I suspect if Canon receives a check you're in. :) Maybe I should give it a go.

Canon sets the qualifications and most active shooters on this forum probably qualify. If you own a super-tele, one or two other L-series lenses and a prosumer body, you probably quality.

Arthur Morris
06-22-2013, 06:37 PM

For sure David....

Doug West
06-23-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm just going with Lensrental, especially since they're having a discount if you start the
rental on Tuesdays.

Doug

Steve Uffman
06-24-2013, 04:02 PM
I will have to check, then, because I have a fair amount of Canon gear (including a 500/4)
Works real well Ian....I am a gold member and I have always gotten fast turnaround and good service.. I know not everyone may have the same experience but well worth it....

Actually used it today to get my 1dx taken care of under the current product advisory....

Ian Cassell
06-25-2013, 11:58 AM
Thanks, Steve. I just joined as a Silver member (free) for the moment, but will upgrade to Gold shortly (I have plenty of points for that).

Steve Uffman
06-25-2013, 12:05 PM
Free cleanings are well worth it IMO....but I have had good service from them all the way around...not everyone's experience but definitely mine.....

Dperkell
07-06-2013, 08:18 PM
Wow NPS is much stricter. Very good marketing by Canon and good for their loyal avid customers. Win win!

Jim Keener
02-19-2016, 02:35 AM
CPS. Telephone support, gear evaluation loans, expedited repair, discounted repair, free shipping for repair at Platinum level. Cleaning. This is the deal I've found anywhere. Customers pay for return shipping for loans.

But. For regular equipment loans, I use lensrentals.com. Considerably more flexibility.