PDA

View Full Version : Untitled, for now...

Diane Miller
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
Early morning light, Canon 5D Mk III, 600mm II + 1.4X III. Big Gitzo with Wimberley II. ISO 1600, f/13, 1/1250 sec. Should have gone to a wider aperture and ISO 800. About 50% crop. Basic LR adjustments then to PS CS6 for Neat Image NR and Viveza Structure for pseudo-sharpening. (Smart Sharpen or Unsharp Mask brings back more noise than Structure does, for me.)

NOTE: This is #1 of a 2-part series. I'll post the subsequent frame (and title) tomorrow. If you hold off comments until the second one is up the two images will show in adjacent frames and give a more effective presentation.

There's noise in the gray under wing that I can work on later -- no time now. They may not be studio shots, technically, but I rather like the moment I caught just after this one.

Melissa Groo
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
Awesome moment of interaction you've captured here, Diane. Very powerful. Amazing how far back that one has turned its head! I like how you can see its beak is wide open too.
I think I see a bit of noise in the background and underwing and I might try and tone the whites down a bit on their chests. I could see a touch more sharpening on the incoming bird's head.
Overall a really great, interesting image. Possible title: In Your Face.

Jamie Douglas
06-17-2013, 11:20 PM
Wow this is pretty good for a 50% crop although the IQ has dropped a little further than what is good detail IMO, but sometimes you gotta crop to show the interesting behaviour. As for sharpening, do you apply sharpening to the subjects only or the whole image? Best to sharpen the subjects only so the BG doesn't give the appearance of noise.

Jamie

Robert Holguin
06-18-2013, 12:55 AM
Great shot.
Excellent interaction and timing.
Well done.

Marina Scarr
06-18-2013, 07:56 PM
What an amazing moment this must have been to witness and photograph, Diane. I am envious!!! Noise mentioned by you. The IQ does seem to be suffering some from the large crop. Is there any way to crop this larger which would also be visually pleasing? Love the way one is perched on the cone and the outstretched wings and squawking of the back bird. :)

Diane Miller
06-19-2013, 04:21 PM
OK, here's the sequel image and now I can reveal the title: "How about a kiss, hon?"

No, not great quality -- they are in the top of a VERY tall tree, hence the need for a large crop, even with 840mm (on a full frame).

Marina Scarr
06-20-2013, 08:45 AM
I love this frame Diane and what an apt title!!!