PDA

View Full Version : Landing

Troy Lim
06-15-2013, 12:41 PM

My transition from Nikon to Canon is now complete. Special thanks to Canon Malaysia for making this transition possible. Met with the team, picked up my 1Dx and 600mm IS II with 2 TC III loaners and went off for a few days shoot in the mountains. It was a slow few days until we came across this nest. It was the highlight of this shooting trip.
Adult male landing to feed the chick. Inconsistent light and partially blocked by leaves and branches. Added canvas on both side to get room for landscape crop.
1Dx, 600mm IS II, 1/800, f/8, ISO1600

Allen Sparks
06-15-2013, 01:29 PM
Hi Troy, this is a very interesting and appealing shot. The chick is sharp and the blur in the wings of the adult conveys the motion well. I like the diagonal perch too. - Allen

PhilCook
06-15-2013, 07:26 PM
Sharp where it needs be and like a bit of motion blur in the wings, diagonal perch is nicely placed, interesting behavioral shot too with the chick precariously perched on the think branch...is it in some kind of basic nest ?

dankearl
06-15-2013, 10:36 PM
Interesting photo, the chick is nice, 1/800 is too slow I think for these guys.
I also think the watermark over the birds is a poor way to have us view the photo.

Troy Lim
06-15-2013, 11:48 PM
Interesting photo, the chick is nice, 1/800 is too slow I think for these guys.
I also think the watermark over the birds is a poor way to have us view the photo.

Yes, I agree on the SS. 1/2000 is even too slow for these guys, they are fast like the swallows. I disagree with you on the watermark comment. :)

dankearl
06-16-2013, 12:22 AM
What is the point, Troy?
This is as quick and dirty as it can be.
Watermarks are useless if you think someone will steal your image.
Maybe I am missing something?
The image would look much nicer without it.

_TLP_0911-copy.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129546&stc=1&d=1371360029)

Troy Lim
06-16-2013, 12:29 AM
What is the point, Troy?
This is as quick and dirty as it can be.
Watermarks are useless if you think someone will steal your image.
Maybe I am missing something?
The image would look much nicer without it.

(http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129546&stc=1&d=1371360029)

I agree that it is useless, someone can remove them if they like it. The point is to make them work for it if they want to use it, just as simple as that.

Marina Scarr
06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
On the issue of the watermark, BPN requests that watermarks not be placed so large through the image. So please place them on your image as Dan has suggested. I understand your frustration with people stealing images, but it's less likely to happen here where we are all photographers in the same boat and we can't properly critique an image when there is a large watermark going through the image.

My first thought when I saw this image was that I wished Canon Malaysia had also loaded you a flash b/c it would have helped with the dappled light and to freeze your wings and thrown this image over the top. Love the fact that you can see the little one sitting in the nest and how the adult's wings appear to be about to envelope the chick. That nest is just so tiny. I hope the chick isn't going to be growing much more before fledging!!! You did a good job on extending canvas.

Troy Lim
06-16-2013, 10:24 AM
On the issue of the watermark, BPN requests that watermarks not be placed so large through the image. So please place them on your image as Dan has suggested. I understand your frustration with people stealing images, but it's less likely to happen here where we are all photographers in the same boat and we can't properly critique an image when there is a large watermark going through the image.

My first thought when I saw this image was that I wished Canon Malaysia had also loaded you a flash b/c it would have helped with the dappled light and to freeze your wings and thrown this image over the top. Love the fact that you can see the little one sitting in the nest and how the adult's wings appear to be about to envelope the chick. That nest is just so tiny. I hope the chick isn't going to be growing much more before fledging!!! You did a good job on extending canvas.

I understand about the Watermark but there is a difference in requesting and demanding. Perhaps Dan did not mean to be coming across in such a way. I know that a lot of time, comments can appear to be harsher than they seem.
As for flash, I have thought about using it, but the local photographers don't do it and I have asked about using it. I was told not to use it, trying to follow the local rules. Believe me, I would have loved to use it :)

dankearl
06-16-2013, 10:33 AM
Troy, I apologize if I came across harshly, that was not my intention.
I thought the mark ruined an otherwise fine photo, that was what I was trying to point out.
It is obviously your photo and you can do what you think is best, it was just my opinion.

Troy Lim
06-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Troy, I apologize if I came across harshly, that was not my intention.
I thought the mark ruined an otherwise fine photo, that was what I was trying to point out.
It is obviously your photo and you can do what you think is best, it was just my opinion.

Dan, I posted the same shot I used for FB. Next time, I will not post one with the WM across. Thank you.

Shawn Zierman
06-17-2013, 01:48 AM
Gorgeous species Troy, and a nice natural history feel to this one. I enjoyed this image and the one you posted
on NSN very much. Do you have any frames of just the chick in the nest. The chick looks so big compared to what I can make out of the nest...I'd just be interested to see one without an adult in the frame.....Regardless, very cool shot.

Troy Lim
06-17-2013, 06:31 AM
Gorgeous species Troy, and a nice natural history feel to this one. I enjoyed this image and the one you posted
on NSN very much. Do you have any frames of just the chick in the nest. The chick looks so big compared to what I can make out of the nest...I'd just be interested to see one without an adult in the frame.....Regardless, very cool shot.

Shawn, yes I do. I will post just the chick next. :)