PDA

View Full Version : On the prowl - 2

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2013, 07:18 AM
Different Polar bear this time and you can see the difference in the colour of coat compare to the previous one if you toggle between the postings. Shooting from on deck of the ship.

Steve
Subject: Polar bear on pack ice (Ursus maritimus)
Camera: Canon MKIII
Lens: 300f/2.8 HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/4 ISO400 +0.67 stop compensation

Gabriela Plesea
06-15-2013, 10:08 AM
Even if I wanted to, I could not find something I would change in this image:S3: I like the detail on the bear, whose fur looks almost yellowish against the whiteness of the ice. Yet what fascinates me here the most is not the subject, but the way in which the light changes everything-there are so many nuances of white in this image, the beauty of this landscape really defies verbal description-you captured this remarkably, Steve!

Kind regards,

Andre Pretorius
06-15-2013, 10:22 AM
Hi Steve
Gabriela covered the beauty of this image and the composition, I agree 100%.

I would like more detail on face, eyes-the light is from behind. We have a discussion that the face/eye of a subject is always critical in an image, what is your take?

BTW, what exposure mode did you use?

Rachel Hollander
06-15-2013, 04:38 PM
Steve - if I can bring back an image anywhere near as good I'll be thrilled. The details and the subtleties of the colors are amazing. Love the walking pose, curled paw and overall comp. Looks like the ship got pretty close too, ff at 300mm.

TFS,
Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-19-2013, 04:22 AM
another nice frame from Svalbard, Steve
how about a touch more contrast? seems like it could use a bit of "kick"? :e3

Steve Kaluski
06-19-2013, 05:31 AM
Hi folks, and thanks for the kind words. :S3:

Andre the trouble is that getting light into a black eye, nose and at times tongue, is very difficult. If the light is good you get something, however invariably some PP work needs to be done in the shadow areas. IMHO each image is different and depending on light, how close they are, position of the head etc will, for me, dictate what you can and cannot achieve. With an image like this there are many factors, so truck loads of detail etc is not that high on the list to me, but also when viewed larger the detail is there.

Rachel they are very curious animals and I've given you things you need to remember when they do get this close to watch for, but you have enough tools, skill & experience with you to get the shots and having spoken to Andy R who has just come back from his latest adventures I am very envious of you.

It might do Morkel, I try to not to add too much contrast and therefore perhaps occasional it may need a handful of 'goofer' contrast. :bg3:

Dperkell
06-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Agreed Steve, was in Churchill last November and found the same issues with these magnificent animal. Nevertheless, your image is fantastic!