PDA

View Full Version : Scaly-naped Pigeon

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Not as exotic or as colourful/interesting as what is normally posted here, but thought I might posting just a different species. :S3: Couldn't quite get the collar neck line to tie in with the rock contour

Steve
Subject: Scaly-naped Pigeon on shore rocks (Patagioenas squamosa)
Camera: Canon 1DX
Lens: 70-200f/2.8 with 1.4x HH
Exposure: 1/640s at f/9 ISO400 0 stop compensation

Daniel Cadieux
06-14-2013, 09:32 AM
This is a new one for me, and is definitely exotic to me! Apart form the BG rock behind the subject this image works quite well. I like the head cocked our way and the neck clearly shows why this species is named so.

Marina Scarr
06-14-2013, 09:36 AM
A lovely species and so perfectly exposed. Happy that the bird's head has a clean blue BG and like the cocked head. Good job working this situation in difficult environment.

Steve Kaluski
06-14-2013, 10:26 AM
Hi Daniel & Marina, these guess spent the time 'courting' on and around the rocks of the beach, or high up in the Palm canopy's, so you have to take you chances when you can, they were also quite shy too, amazing for pigeons!!!! :Whoa!:

Marina, is so nice to have good light, I was being spoilt, back to reality now.

Thanks for swinging by and taking a look.
Steve

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-14-2013, 02:12 PM
this is quite exotic for me, Steve. what a beautiful bird. loved the details in the rock. nice pose as well. Well done. could it go a tad brighter in the midtones?

PhilCook
06-14-2013, 08:35 PM
Never heard about this one before, lovely looking species. Like the inquisitive look on it's face and great capturing it's head and neck clear from the rock, well done Steve....pigeons are too under rated imo, there are so many exotic looking examples of this type of bird

Shawn Zierman
06-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Beautiful image. I enjoy the color and texture contrast between the rocks/water.
Subject details are rendered perfectly.

Steve Kaluski
06-15-2013, 06:01 AM
Thanks folks

Hi Kaustubh, I think It's fairly well balanced, it might take a fraction, but not much more as I like the layering of tones within the plumage. :w3

Girish Prahalad
06-15-2013, 08:05 AM
always exciting to see a new species. very sharp details & color tones on this one.