PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Fall

Rudi van den Heever
06-13-2013, 10:31 AM
The pastel colors of fall changed the landscape into a magical place at the feet of the "sleeping giant" in Giants Castle, Drakensberg, South Africa...

A blend of three exposures using luminosity masks.

Equipment: Canon 7D with 10-22mm lens, 3stop B+W ND filter

Andrew McLachlan
06-13-2013, 10:20 PM
Hi Rudi, this is a lovely composition with all the elements placed nicely within the frame. My only suggestion would be to tone down the yellowy-orange colours and add a touch of contrast to the hillside. Very nicely done!!!

Don Railton
06-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Hi Rudi.

Very Nice image & comp here. I too would tone down slightly the light green/orange veg mid screen to the right, but its only nit picking really. I also think the shutter time could have been a little shorter as the bottom of the water fall is a bit overly chaotic IMHO and being white it draws the eye. Again nits, I would be very happy to have taken this just as it is... Beautiful country...

DON

Morkel Erasmus
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Great composition and feel, Rudi.
I do feel the exposure balance is off. The bottom part is way brighter than the top part, and the bushes just across the river are particularly bright in comparison with the rest.
Unless this is the natural fall of the light at the time (in which case, forgive me) I think this would be my approach.
I balanced out exposure roughly using dodge and burn and added some LCE.
WDYT? :e3

Rudi van den Heever
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
See where you are coming from Morkel and sure is a different take on it! I do however like the contrast between the bottom and top bushes... Only used the glow brush to emphasize the fall colors, even though it was not the natural fall of the light... :e3 Thanks for the input!