PDA

View Full Version : Common blue Polyommatus icarus

Jonathan Ashton
06-13-2013, 03:26 AM
Tripod canon 7D canon 180mm macro fill in flash - 1.66 ISO 400 1/250 sec f7.1 I think the polarising lens was on. The background is natural I have not manipulated it.
This is the same butterfly I posted previously but this time on a different perch, I have still not seen another common blue since. I have not even seen a single meadow brown or gatekeeper butterfly either yet - nothing - absolute disaster this year.
All comments welcome

OvidiuCavasdan
06-13-2013, 04:29 AM
Nice one Jonathan, I like the colors and details on the BF and very good BG. Would have liked the top of the seedhead in focus but...yes...I know...this is not always possible. Went out sunday and have seen only one meadow brown, one bath white (?) and 3 common blue. Unfortunately managed to take images of one common blue only. It is disappointing because past years esp. common blues were not hard to find in that area. I still hope for an improvement. Wishing you and all others shooters good luck in finding nice subjects!

thijs broekkamp
06-13-2013, 08:10 AM
Have seen 2 common blue's in total this year...
But lovely image, nice clean picture. If it was possible, I would have gone for a higher aperture number

Mitch Haimov
06-13-2013, 08:44 AM
Very nice, Jonathan. I like that the stalk is not quite vertical. However, too tight up top for my taste--easily remedied with that BG if you agree.

Diane Miller
06-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Very nice! And I love how the stem almost disappears into the BG at the bottom. I would add a little more at the top, and darken or even clone out the most OOF lighter top part, if that's not against your principles. Looks like it could be made to look natural.

Bob Miller
06-13-2013, 07:46 PM
Jon....great image! I like the perch alot although I agree with Diane's advice above.

Jonathan Ashton
06-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Thanks very much to everyone, I agree with your comments. I really do benefit from them, recent images in particular have invited suggestions that I had not considered and they do make for improved presentation.

Steve Maxson
06-14-2013, 08:50 PM
Well, for having only this one individual to work with, you've presented us with two outstanding images (thus far)! Like the others, I'd like just a little more room on top and I would wish that the tip of the stem was sharper - having said that, when my eye goes to the OOF stem tip it quickly goes right back to the butterfly - so maybe the OOF tip is really a plus. :S3: Overall, this is very nice work!

Allen Sparks
06-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Jonathan, this is really nice - good focus on the subject all around. Maybe add a little room on top above the stem. Great background. Well done. - Allen

vishaljadhav
06-19-2013, 05:07 AM
Nice one, i love this composition
the details are super and the BG is one i would love to be with me all the times
lovely