PDA

View Full Version : Panoramic View Of Masada

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-04-2008, 03:48 PM
This was taken from a bus window as there were no other opportunities to capture Masada in it;s entirity. We were a group of 26 people and the siituation was less than ideal for a photographer since it was always necessary to keep up with the crowd. < smile > You were not always able to get the light or angle you would have liked but still awesome to see and a great learing experince. Masada was built by King Herod and had every luxury possible for that era . Swimming pools , saunas, great view to say the least and luxiorious bedrooms etc !!! All this was built with marble etc carried up the mountain by human manpower. Unbelievable !! It isunfortunately destroyed by the Romans so we are now left with the ruins.

All comments are much appreciated. thanks !

David Kennedy
05-05-2008, 01:56 AM
Judy,
I would say you captured an image that could be optimized very quickly despite being photographed through a bus window. I think that my concern with its current presentation is that it feels a little "muted." The mountain feels almost uniformly yellow--even though it isn't--and the sky is a muted blue. I took this into LAB and, while this isn't ideal (I've blown some of the details in the lighter colored (foothills?) forms at the bottom!!!) this would be one idea of where to take this image. I tried to bring the blue "back to life," and I also drew out some of the magenta colors in the rock face that were, before, a little on the yellow side.

Compositionally, I'd like to see more of what's happening on the left (trees and buildings?) or a tighter crop. Again, working from the constraints of a bus seat, it's tough to ask more of you!!! :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
05-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Hi David many thanks for all your time and working in the lab. I appreciate your interest. The area atound the Dead Sea and Masada is a very desert area with very little color . It is not like Monument valley where you have the wonderful deep red color . There was nothing at the base of the mojntain exceppt a row of trees . there were no buildings only a cable car part way up the mountain and a small building where you can catch the cable car up to the top of Masada, When I was there in 1985 we were able to walk down but that is no longer permitted, The lack of color is really quite amazing and if you have ever been to Israel and especially that part of Israel that is near the Dead Sea you will know what I mean. Again many thanks !!!

Roman Kurywczak
05-05-2008, 11:35 AM
Hi Judy,
Not bad from a bus window! I figured you had a lot of constraints on you in the group. I think a slight levels adjustment to darken a little may help as it does look a little hot on my monitor.........but it is time for me to re-calibrate..........so , for rme, Just a crop of about 1/2 the sky to a pano.........that will emphasize the shape more. I'll let other chime in if they think it's bright......but again......just a sligh levels adjustment if so.
Considering the restraints, well done.

Robert Amoruso
05-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Judy,

I would suggest cropping some of the sky out and like what David did with the image. Nice use of the contrasting colors laying the image from bottom to top.

Steve Bein
05-08-2008, 11:00 AM
thanks for posting this. I was there first when we walked across the desert, descended from the plateau and then walked to Masada, and then up ( 1961_. The last time, 1978, they had a tram. there is a lot that has been done since my first visit. We walked up the snake trail an down the roman hill. Went inside of the cisterns but Herod's castle was not accessible then. Now you can walk to it and see the frescoes. I guess they have closed a lot off. I still have a potsherd I took in 1961. No one wanted them when i tried to donate back. As a kid, I did not appreciate the archeologic significance of the pot sherds. Now I do, but it is 47 years too late
I have not been there since 78 and it is time to see the changes.