PDA

View Full Version : Western Meadowhawk on Pennyroyal

Diane Miller
06-10-2013, 08:04 PM
Canon 5DMk III, Sigma 180 macro, ISO 1600, 1/2000 @ f/5.6, had to squeeze into an awkward position under some brush and went with handholding (felt like living dangerously). You can't really see it here but the compound eye detail is very sharp. It had just hatched and was drying out, probably unable to fly.

Processed with Canon DPP (I'm convinced! But it's a drag on my workflow and may only use it for high ISO images.) Some color work and a little BG cloning in PS CS6. NeatImage NR (although DPP did a remarkable job of keeping noise way down) and then Nik Detail Extractor masked to the dragonfly. Wings lightened a little with a masked curve.

If you think you see noise in the BG, you're seeing the dot pitch on your monitor. :bg3:

Mitch Haimov
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Nicely done, Diane. Excellent subject and has an ethereal quality I find appealing. A little tight/centered for me--I think more canvas top and especially left, as well as less on bottom, would have helped the composition.

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2013, 03:29 AM
The image has a certain enigmatic quality about it. The confusion caused by the OOF foliage is almost a lure to make me look more intensely at the image. I find the image appealing and yet I wish the dragon had been so courteous as to perch in the open. I like the almost pastel shades, the composition works for me. the head and thorax are well focused, I am looking forward to seeing more!

Bob Miller
06-12-2013, 03:42 PM
Hi Diane...Best dragonfly image I have seen for quite some time. This image has a nice feel to it...sort of dreamy. I like it alot! You might consider a slight vignette.

Steve Maxson
06-12-2013, 07:53 PM
Hi Diane. This dragonfly image has a different (but interesting) "look" than most of the ones we're used to seeing here. The shine on the wings is another indication that this guy is newly emerged. I like the soft light and you did well with the hand holding to get good sharpness within your DOF. Given your specs, you could have used ISO 800 and still would have had plenty of ss - but your processing has made noise a non-issue. I might wish that the tip of the abdomen was a little sharper, but overall this is very nicely done!

Diane Miller
06-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Thanks, everyone -- good suggestions. The master file has more room top and left but would need a lot of cloning. But content=aware fill could work well to add canvas to this version. I'll play with it.

There were quite a few of these, each in a less photogenic spot than the last. Hate it when that happens.

Mitch Haimov
06-13-2013, 08:39 AM
I think this image is worth the effort, Diane. Of course, I won't be the one doing the work... :w3

OvidiuCavasdan
06-16-2013, 01:53 PM
I like this image, it has a nice dreamy feel. Sharpness is good within dof and the DG colour stands out well. Well done.

Diane Miller
06-18-2013, 08:20 AM
Thanks, everyone Here's a rework with more room top and left, and a little off the bottom. Did a little more cloning on the BG, too.