PDA

View Full Version : A Mom and Chick Experiment

dankearl
06-10-2013, 06:57 PM
Wood Duck Mom & Chicks.
I don't know how this will go over, I personally do not like OOF birds in the Backward of most photos.
I was way too close to get everything in focus so tried something different and I sort of like it.

1/800, f6.3, iso800, 600mm (300 w/ 2x), D800, HH

DSC_5498bp.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129394&stc=1&d=1370908585)

Diane Miller
06-10-2013, 07:17 PM
The chicks are so sharp I don't mind the mom being OOF. DOF can be such a problem!

My only nit would be wanting a little more room on the right, but since you were very close it probably isn't there. Since the mom is OOF it isn't as much of a concern as if she was sharp. I'd maybe take a little off the top, too.

Robert Holguin
06-11-2013, 02:42 AM
Nice shot.
Love the cuteness of the ducklings.
Both ducklings are sharp, great low angle, and nice light.
I think this image would have been stronger if the right duck had a better head angle.
Still a great shot.
Well done.

David Salem
06-11-2013, 04:24 AM
I actually like allot of shots with oof subjects in front or behind the main subject. This one is nice and I love the sharpness of the chicks. I would like it better if the hen were to be further out of focus. I think it would define the chicks further. Nice work and vision.

Karl Egressy
06-11-2013, 05:53 AM
As Dave suggested I had the same feeling looking at the picture, before I read his comment. It would look better if the hen was more OOF. The chicks look excellent. You might be able to make the hen more OOF in PP. Nice shot, Dan.

Girish Prahalad
06-11-2013, 07:57 AM
really like the image. the sharp chicks makes up for the OOF mother.

Satish Ranadive
06-11-2013, 09:01 AM
Very very nice and happy looking family. Love the cute little ones with beautiful colors and great sharpness..
Wish could have used higher F value.Still very nice image.

Regards,
Satish.

Daniel Cadieux
06-11-2013, 11:39 AM
As long as the front subject(s) are the one(s) in focus than you should be fine. The reverse would not work so well. I too wonder how it would have worked with the mother even more OOF, but I still like the feel of the image here. I agree that a better HA from the right chick would have put this over the top, and the clipped tail is too bad. Glad you decided to try this type of image...always fun to experiment.