PDA

View Full Version : CS4 Glitch ?

PhilCook
06-10-2013, 05:35 PM
Hi, wonder if anyone has a quick fix idea about a problem that has just arisen with my CS4 software...it is a legal, paid for version, but not registered anymore.

All works fine except when I crop from a jpeg image { either straight from camera or after RAW conversion } and then click the "save crop tick" symbol the page goes blank and edited/cropped image is lost ? I can crop in the RAW window, just not from the general jpeg edit.

Hoping there may be some easy fix as I don't want to re install CS4 as it caused my computer to semi-crash previously which is why I no longer register it. Several months ago I lost sound and a few other glitches on my PC mysteriously, so took it to a computer repairman, It took a while to work out why my computer crashed, he formatted my PC twice and re installed everything, but it crashed both times. It came down to something about Adobe no longer recognizing my registration serial number, so he installed CS4 without registering it....not sure how he configured it, but it has been fine up until this latest no cropping glitch.

Though I can live around it and can always use my Elements 8 program anyway, love to be able to have CS4 working 100% again without a total re install of the software........ideas ?

Diane Miller
06-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Odd behavior in PS can sometimes be fixed by trashing the Pref's file, although you will then have to re-set any pref's. Sounds like you may have a bigger demon, though, but probably worth trying.

CS6 has some improvements over CS4 that you might want to consider, in view of the cons of the "new normal" that will, at least unless things change, persuade many folks to stay with CS6. Don't know if it would behave better for you, though.

I don't know if CS4 qualifies for the CS6 upgrade price; if not then it wouldn't be worthwhile for most people. As long as you purchased it, not having it currently registered shouldn't be a problem. Or just do the student version if you can. I understand it's getting hard to get CS6 now.

PhilCook
06-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Woohoo...thanks Dianne, trashing my preferences did the trick...... happy now :5

Diane Miller
06-11-2013, 08:49 AM
WHEW! Glad to be of help! A messed up pref's file can cause the strangest behavior -- seems never to be the same thing twice.