PDA

View Full Version : Dragonfly in it's environment

thijs broekkamp
06-10-2013, 08:36 AM
Lately I've been trying to do something different with macro photography. Placing the subject relatively small in the frame, in it's environment, while still capturing the attention. I like to hear your thoughts.

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae54/thijsbroekkamp/_MG_0674bwrkt1024.jpg (http://s957.photobucket.com/user/thijsbroekkamp/media/_MG_0674bwrkt1024.jpg.html)

Jerry van Dijk
06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
Hi Thijs, I like where this is going. I do think the dragonfly is a bit too cut of left and right and I find that this sort of image profits from placing the subject on one of the rule of thirds hotspots (i.e. the crossings of two of the ROT lines). Keep experimenting, those color contrasts of the reds and greens are very nice!

Mitch Haimov
06-10-2013, 11:46 PM
Very nice, Thijs. Works for me as presented. I like the subject further off-center than RoT, thought that would work well also. Subtle use of something along the lines of Nik's Darken Lighten Center or similar might be worth exploring. If I could change one thing it would be to remove the the close-to-camera OOF stalks/flowers at far right, although I don't suppose that would have been too feasible at the time. Well seen.

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2013, 07:30 AM
Good idea, I know it is not an easy thing to do. Personally, I would prefer the dragonfly slightly larger in the frame, I appreciate it is about the environment as well as the subject but the subject is not quite dominant enough for me.

Steve Maxson
06-12-2013, 07:40 PM
Hi Thijs. I like what you are trying to do here! I like the colors and the lighting and I'm OK with the size and placement of the dragonfly in the frame. I realize that it's difficult to get a clean view of the dragonfly in this habitat, but I think the image would be stronger without the OOF stem that crosses the wings on the left side. :S3:

thijs broekkamp
06-13-2013, 08:08 AM
Thanks for the comments!
I agree with your comments that there is bit to much OOF, but there was not really something I could do about it (that would involve a whole lot of 'gardening')
It is quite difficult to find the right spot, because there are many many branches and plants etc in front.