PDA

View Full Version : Teneral Common Blue & Exuvia

Jonathan Ashton
06-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Tripod canon 7D Canon 180mm macro ISO 200 +0.3 1/40 sec f16
A shot I have been waiting to get for quite some time, all C&C welcome.

thijs broekkamp
06-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Nice clean image. I would maybe have placed the twig a bit more to the right, so to create a bit more excitement in the picture.

Bob Miller
06-10-2013, 11:07 AM
Jon...i can understand your excitement at getting this shot! You might consider raising the contrastjust a bit

Jerry van Dijk
06-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Hi Jonathan, I see you finally have some good weather too! Very nice capture, details are excellent. I do see what looks like wing movement that was caught in the slow SS, so maybe opt for some higher ISO level and faster SS.

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2013, 03:39 AM
Thanks for the feed back folks, your wish is my command :S3: here is one slightly higher ISO, more contrast and moved over to the right a little.

Mitch Haimov
06-11-2013, 08:17 AM
Small changes make a big difference, Jon! I like this one much better.

Jerry van Dijk
06-11-2013, 02:00 PM
Wings looks excellent now Jon! Great work. I'm not sure, but I think I'd put the damselfly's eye on the UL ROT hotspot. I think the contrast is a bit too high now. I think what triggered the contrast comment is the fact that teneral damsselflies don't have much color or clear lines yet, maybe that's what folks expect to see.

Jonathan Ashton
06-11-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks Jerry & Mitch, I have to admit I did not notice wing movement but the second image does look sharper, I will check out my other ISO 100 files, the second image was ISO 200.
There is more colour/contrast in the second image, it may "look better" but the first image portrays the actual colour - or lack of colour more accurately.

Steve Maxson
06-12-2013, 07:33 PM
Hi Jon. It looks like your long wait finally paid off! The damselfly and exuvia are perfectly positioned so that you were able to get everything in focus - and against a clean background. The original does a nice job of showing the lack of color and the very shiny wings. I'm wondering how the comp would look if you took the original and rotated it so the stem tilts a little to the right - just a thought. This is very nicely done!