PDA

View Full Version : Venice

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
06-08-2013, 09:00 AM
One more from Venice.
This is Mulino Stucky in Isola Giudecca, now Hotel Hilton.
Its falls in the Tronchetto route from Ferrovia to San Marco (not through the Canale Grande)
This is also an attempt on HDR.

5DMk2, 24-105L @40mm
1/250s, f/8, ISO-100

Thanks for comments, advice and suggestions.

Don Railton
06-08-2013, 08:52 PM
Hello Prabir.

Sorry, but this image is not doing it for me as it stands.. I think the blue sections of the sky looks too blotchy to be convincing. The colours go from almost black in the upper RH side to grey/white on the lower LH side next to the church steeple. Could this be due to your HDR processing? I dont do a lot of HDR because I dont like the look usually, but to you credit, this does not look like an HDR. The left hand side of the building also lacks sharpness compared to the center, this maybe due to the processing also..? Finally, I would decentralize the building by cropping the RHS (to Lhs tree) and crop some (~1/2) of the water..

Never been to Venice but I am enjoying your shots despite the critique offered above..

DON

Andrew McLachlan
06-10-2013, 04:15 PM
Hi Prabir,

I agree with Don on cropping out some of the water in this comp. Did you by chance use a grad filter on the sky, positioned at an angle from the top right down to the left side...the sky almost appears to have a darken section running diagonally through it that would suggest a misplaced grad filter. Not sure what he RAW files look like but to me this version appears to have some blown-out highlights in the clouds...perhaps a return to the RAW files for some highlight recovery will help alleviate this. It is a lovely old building.

Morkel Erasmus
06-11-2013, 05:28 AM
I like the scene, Prabir, but the HDR has left the sky looking quite whacky and weird. I'd love for you to post the central exposure (0 EV) here to compare?
I'd actually consider a composition with more water and less sky myself?

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
06-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Don, Andrew, Morkel - thanks a lot for your comments.
Seems I have to work a bit more on this based on suggestions from all of you.
I'll come back to it after my return from business trip.
Thanks.