PDA

View Full Version : Lower Rosseau Falls

Andrew McLachlan
06-07-2013, 09:26 PM
About a month ago it was time to open the family cottage for another season. After many of the chores were completed I made an early morning jaunt over to Lower Rosseau Falls for some early spring waterfall images. This waterfall presents the photographer with numerous possibilities and as leaves begin to emerge on the red maple trees tend to resemble autumn-like color. The overcast, rainy weather help provide the even lighting.

I was playing around with Nik/Google's Sharpener Pro on this one.

Look forward to comments.

Nikon D800
Nikon 12-24mm @ 18mm
ISO 400 ( to increase shutter speed due to time of day & weather conditions)
f22 @ 1 second
Live View to fine tune focusing
Double Bubble Level in the Hot Shoe

Don Railton
06-07-2013, 10:03 PM
Hi Andrew.

I love the water here. I think the shutter speed was spot on to get that nice silky effect. I am sure it will be a fantastic spot later on in the fall when there is more colour. There is a white triangle in the upper rh third that catches my eye, I think its water falling in behind a rock but its bright and a distraction I would consider softening up a little. I also think the forest at the top of the falls is a little too dark and could be lightened slightly...

DON

Andrew McLachlan
06-07-2013, 10:09 PM
Hi Don, good catch on the white triangle...the river is split into two cascades by those rocks and you are right it is the river on the other side of the rocks. I will tone that down for sure...thanks.

PRABIR BHATTACHARYYA
06-08-2013, 08:48 AM
Andrew, the silky flow pattern of water flow is one of my favourites.
Wonderful work.

Rachel Hollander
06-08-2013, 08:49 AM
Hi Andrew - I agree, a very effective ss and a nice comp. For some reason, the image does not have an embedded color profile. When I brought it into CS6 and assigned sRGB there was a slight cyan cast to the water so I would look at reducing that. Looking forward to more from this area.

TFS,
Rachel

Andrew McLachlan
06-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Much appreciated folks...Rachel I did switch the color profile over to sRGB prior to posting...I think when I am saving for the web the metadata gets stripped out...I am not that tech savvy:S3: Thanks for the cyan note I will fix that up.

Rachel Hollander
06-10-2013, 06:34 PM
Hi Andrew - for whatever reason it doesn't seem that the color profile stuck. If you save your op and then open it in CS it says that it doesn't have an embedded color profile.

Rachel

Diane Miller
06-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Lovely shot of one of my favorite subjects! The bottom 1/3 is extra-special! Great use of wide angle.

For me, the forest feels a little over-sharpened or too detailed for the lovely soft water. Maybe a bit high in contrast, as well.

Sounds like the camera was level, but for me it has the feeling of leaning rather strongly to the right. I'll often compose or correct by what looks right rather than by true level.

Depending on your software, there should be a checkbox somewhere when you save the JPEG, to embed the color profile.

James Fuller
06-11-2013, 06:20 PM
You sure do know how to find some great waterfalls! The texture of the rock looks great with the smooth flowing water to complement it. When I look at the image, I keep catching myself tilting my head to the right...maybe an effect of the wide angle...I'm not sure.

Andrew McLachlan
06-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Thanks Diane and James for the additional comments, much appreciated. The leaning look is an optical illusion but I did feel the same as others and since we are all tilting our heads, questioning whether it is square with the world or not I will give a minor adjustment to reduce the illusion. Thanks.