PDA

View Full Version : Southern Scrub Robin capture technique

PhilCook
06-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Nothing very exciting in the way of looks, just a little brown bird, but captured this image in an unusual way that may be of interest.

These often elusive birds of the arid Mallee lands rarely fly more than a couple of feet off the ground, spending much of their time foraging around and under the low bushes and darting for cover when a chance of danger presents itself.

I came across this one digging food in the sand on a narrow game trail in the desert, so set up the camera on tripod under a bush and went to where the bird was digging and proceeded to dig the same spot myself in hope to arouse it's curiosity, then went back to the camera to wait. As hoped the bird came back out and took advantage of my diggings to procure an easier meal.....:S3:

I have done this a couple more times since this shot and it seem to work nicely to get some birds interested.

Canon 7D + 500 f4....f5.6, 1/125, ISO 500, + 0.3 EV, no flash, tripod used.......small crop, selective sharpen and noise reduction

Arthur Morris
06-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Nice bird, image, and tale but I would have liked the bird parallel to the imaging sensor.

Karl Egressy
06-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Godd way figuring out what works for you to attract the birds, Phil. I like the earth tone colours and the fine feather details. I also like the Thrush like pose.

jack williamson
06-07-2013, 10:00 PM
Very good detail and exposure, you knew you would get whacked about the HA, excellent story.

Jack

Miguel Palaviccini
06-07-2013, 10:14 PM
Phil,

Neat trick to get that guy to come back to the same spot!

I agree with Artie and wish you had the bird turned a bit more toward you.

Miguel

Satish Ranadive
06-08-2013, 12:06 AM
Phil:
Nice story and technique to attract these birds.I like the details on bird, shades in brown colors and composition.

Regards,
Satish.

PhilCook
06-08-2013, 12:56 AM
Very good detail and exposure, you knew you would get whacked about the HA, excellent story.

Jack

hehehehe...yep , I had it coming lol

Jim Thomas
06-08-2013, 03:43 AM
Very nice, looks like a thrush and a flycatcher had a love child. Like the subtle color variations. I almost always like it when birds are looking away and off in the distance, but I'm odd.

Jim

David Salem
06-08-2013, 09:29 AM
Way to go Phil. Love the fact that you got creative and figured something out that created a reaction. Yes, the subject isnt a real looker but your usual nice techs and details make it a quality capture. Good job digging this one up ;)

Robert Holguin
06-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Great shot.
Excellent feather detail and great story.
Well done.