PDA

View Full Version : Pirate of the Night

Brendon Cremer
06-06-2013, 02:08 AM
A Clan member looks on after successfully chasing a smaller rival clan after they were discovered encroaching into their territory. The sounds and the ferocity of some of the interactions was just amazing and really something fantastic to witness.Elephant Plains, Sabi Sand Game Reserve, South Africa

Camera NIKON D3S
Focal Length 400mm
Shutter Speed 1/20 sec
Aperture f/4.5
ISO 3200

Andre Pretorius
06-06-2013, 02:13 AM
Very effective use of spotlight here, sharp for slow SS.

Rachel Hollander
06-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Brendon - this is very effective and well done.

TFS,
Rachel

Nancy Bell
06-06-2013, 09:58 AM
Very dramatic! Wonderful highlighting of the fur and just enough of the ground to anchor the hyena and draw your eye in the same direction the hyena is looking.

Jonathan Ashton
06-06-2013, 01:24 PM
Wow what a brilliant image so eye catching - really effective, is there any possibility of just getting a hint of the hind quarters?

Morkel Erasmus
06-06-2013, 01:30 PM
Great use of lighting and cool pose.
1/20 SS! :Whoa!:
Perhaps sharpen the face a wee bit more?

Andrew Merwin
06-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Brendon, very effective use of lighting. I really like how the light illuminates the face & provides rim lighting for the back & legs. I also like how the hind quarters disappear into the darkness. Very well seen & captured.

Gabriela Plesea
06-07-2013, 12:47 PM
I could stare at this "Pirate" the whole evening. In fact, I admit to have looked at this image a few times today but needed some time to formulate an opinion as to why I like it so much. I would have to start with the lighting-indeed very effective, and I like the way it frames and follows the outline of the subject. Then comes the pose-a tense hyaena looking out for other predators of the night. Another title that comes to mind for this image is " A Disturbing Nocturnal Beauty"..."disturbing" because I know the protagonist is a killer but I can only guess her intentions, and " Beauty" because this image makes me perceive this animal to be beautiful even though I am fully aware of its ugliness. Brendon-you have a magic touch-I think this image is superb, congratulations!

Warmest regards,

Steve Kaluski
06-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Hi Brendon, I'm with Jonathan, a bit more light/form on the rear and you have the image.

TFS
Steve

Arno Ellmer
06-09-2013, 12:27 PM
Superb and dramatic , Brendon ! Moment exceptionally well captured with awesome light.Hint of light on rear will make it 110% .TFS