PDA

View Full Version : Drakensberg Pano (moved from Wildlife)

Douglas Bolt
06-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Six images photomerged in CS6. Canon 10D, Tamron 17-35@24, f4.5, 1/10s, ISO 100, all manual. I added the two vertical lines to illustrate where the image will be separated to make three 20x30 canvas prints, with 1.75" mirror image borders. What you see was downsized from 9243x2054px with no output sharpening.

I have very fond memories of the 3 days we spent in cabin 1 with the Amphitheatre in view, so my opinion of this image is certainly biased. I'm seriously considering placing this scene at the entrance to my small gallery, but before I do, I'd appreciate some CC about the processing, color balance, and overall composition. I don't want to be the only photographer or customer who likes it.

Douglas Bolt
06-04-2013, 07:21 PM
I just noticed that I put this in Wildlife and not Landscape. I'd appreciate it if could be moved to the correct place.

peter delaney
06-05-2013, 02:08 AM
hi Douglas

Its easy to get sentimental about an image ..we all do as photographers ... Tbh the image needs some colour correction , you have a yellow colour cast. this is giving your green foilage an unnatural feel. Your skies have 3 diff WB so you first panel looks different from other two.

On the plus side I really like the composition , just needs some TLC in PP

Don Railton
06-05-2013, 06:01 AM
Hi Doug.

This looks pretty nice to me. You have done very well with the 10D. This was my first DSLR and its is responsible for fueling my current passion with photography. having said that i was happy to move to the new gear.

I like the comp and there is plenty of interest in it for me. I would work on the colour of the distant mountains (especially the vertical cliffs) about the LH third line you have inserted. I think there is a blue cast you could remove. I would be happy with the remainder... finally, Not sure what a mirror image border is exactly, maybe its responsible for the thin band of grass that appears to be 'leaning backwards' along the bottom border... I am not keen on that

well done, should look good on the wall.

Don

Morkel Erasmus
06-05-2013, 07:48 AM
Moved the post to "Landscapes", Douglas.
Let's see what a few others have to say...then I'll chime in. :e3

Douglas Bolt
06-05-2013, 06:20 PM
I worked on the color balance in Bridge/ACR (~10 pt less sat and 10 less lum on each of seven raw files before converting to tiff merging). Also, removed some of the color cast in the sky and toned down some of the green in the grass.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. The preview looks more saturated than it did in PS. Likewise, the sharpening seems a bit crunchy (PKS and reduced opacity to 50%).

Maybe I need to work on my Chrome config. I looked at the above image with Firefox and it looks more like it did in PS.

Douglas Bolt
06-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Thanks Peter. I took your advice on the yellows. Maybe it needs a little more work on the yellows.

Douglas Bolt
06-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Yes, the old 10D can make some acceptable images. The files for this image were captured in 2005. I'd love to go back the the Ampitheater again, with or without my current cameras. Quite a spectacular scene.

Douglas Bolt
06-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the move. Looking forward to your comments.

Andrew McLachlan
06-07-2013, 09:03 PM
Hi Douglas, you did very well with foreseeing this as a panoramic. I really like the placement of the mountains. The repost does work better for me and I like that you cropped out the repeating patterns along the bottom edge of the original post. What I am still noticing is that the left half of the image is still darker than the right half.

Morkel Erasmus
06-11-2013, 05:05 AM
It is a majestic place indeed, though not nearly as high and imposing as some of the North American mountain ranges.
Repost is better in terms of colour but still not all there. I would reduce the blues and magentas (especially left of the middle point) selectively and add some warmth to balance with the RHS of the image even better...

Douglas Bolt
06-12-2013, 10:17 AM
Morkel,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. I value your opinions. The color shift from blue-magentas on the left to red-yellows on the right is influenced by the angle of the sun - shining from left (not directly, but hazy) directly against the side of the cabin #2 on the right. I'll see if I can balance out the colors a little better.

As to mountains in NA, I've seen many but none has affected me like the Amphitheater. Maybe it was the thunderstorms at 4pm, which we had been told to expect. Or, maybe it was the gin&tonics consumed in anticipation of the event, but the location remains my all time favorite landscape scene.