PDA

View Full Version : Greater Flamingo

Stu Bowie
06-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Ive just returned from a 10 day stay in Cape Town. The weather wasnt great, but at least my batteries are recharged. This image was taken in the Milnerton Lagoon, a suburb of Cape Town, on the only morning that I saw blue sky and sunshine.
They were quite a few Flamingo's just enjoying feeding in the lagoon. As most of them were bunched up, I tried to single out individuals so as to get a clear shot of the drooling water. A lower angle wasnt possible, and just couldnt get a perfect reflection either. I chose this image first off, as the feathers were being ruffled in the wind to add a bit of interest.

Canon 1D Mark IV
100-400 @ 400mm
1/1600
F/7.1
ISO 400

Exp comp +0.33

Satish Ranadive
06-05-2013, 12:08 AM
Stuart Sir,
Excellent image with very nice composition. I like the ruffled feathers,curves of neck with water droplets,dripping water from the bill.
Love the feeding pose,great details in feathers,water rings around the legs and dripping water,beautiful blue water,nice lights and colors.

Regards,
Satish.

Robert Holguin
06-05-2013, 02:53 AM
Hello Stuart.
Well glad you returned home safely.
Terrific shot.
Love the water drip, very nice light, love the ruffled feathers, and excellent details.
Very well done.

Greg Oakley
06-05-2013, 02:59 AM
Stunning image Stuart! The sharpness and IQ are unbelievable, and the droplets are icing on the cake!
Cheers, Greg

PhilCook
06-05-2013, 06:31 AM
That's quite some " S " bend in the neck, agree the ruffled feathers add more interest and further emphasizes the sharpness, love the "string of pearls " water drops, blue water is of a lovely color

gail bisson
06-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Glad to see you back posting and glad you had a nice trip.
This is a lovely shot. IQ is excellent.
The water drip is what makes it for me.
Like the ripples and the ruffled back feathers too.
Gail

Stu Bowie
06-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

Mike Milicia
06-05-2013, 01:51 PM
Lovely image! Excellent techs and the water drops and ruffled feathers are wonderful additions!

Would like to see a bit more room at the bottom if you have it.

Stu Bowie
06-05-2013, 02:02 PM
Would like to see a bit more room at the bottom if you have it.

Thanks Mike. I do have more room at the bottom, but found the reflection distracting, as it wasnt uniform at all - sort of like a whole lots of squiggles in the water. :w3

Mike Milicia
06-05-2013, 02:05 PM
Thanks Mike. I do have more room at the bottom, but found the reflection distracting, as it wasnt uniform at all - sort of like a whole lots of squiggles in the water. :w3

Just seemed a little tight for where I imagine the feet would be but sounds like you made the right tradeoff with the reflection.

David Salem
06-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Another nice Flamingo shot Stuart. You are racking up good folder of Flamingos! This one has it all. The pose with the blown feathers, the exposure, the detail and the water drip make for a near perfect capture. Well done!

Jonathan Ashton
06-06-2013, 09:52 AM
Super shot Stu, I like the timing. the ruffled feathers are a good idea. The water droplets and the super exposure all adds up to a very pleasing image.

Steve Zamek
06-06-2013, 07:22 PM
Wow!! I love this image. Aside from the perfect technicals, it just has beautiful lines and balance. And there's so much to ponder and appreciate as you look more: the water droplets, the ripples, the wind-blown feathers. So nice. Congrats.

Frank Schauf
06-10-2013, 10:36 AM
Beautiful and colorful image.