PDA

View Full Version : Determination

Brendon Cremer
06-04-2013, 04:21 AM
Over the 8 days we were on safari at Duba Plains, we witnessed a number of skirmishes between the dominant male lion and some of the other prides lionesses as they made attempts to disway the big male from chasing his 2 sub adult sons into exile and a life of independence.In this image he is chasing the 2 youngsters, you can just see the determination in his face.
Duba Plains, Okavanago Delta, Botswana.

Camera NIKON D3S
Focal Length 600mm
Shutter Speed 1/2000 sec
Aperture f/6.3
ISO 400

Russell Johnson
06-04-2013, 06:02 AM
Great intent stare here, Brendon, and the techs look good.

Personally I would crop from the left, as I feel there is a lot of dead space on that size of the image. I made a tight crop to cut out all the green above and to the left of the lion - IMO, it increases the focus on the intent stare.

The seems to have a greenish tint, so have given a repost on the direction I would take the color correction in...

Rachel Hollander
06-04-2013, 08:07 AM
Hi Brendon - very majestic portrait with excellent detail and sharpness. I would drop the yellows -15 or -20 in your op. I like Russell's crop as an alternative.

TFS,
Rachel

hirandesilva
06-04-2013, 11:14 AM
This is a fine image with the lions head turned slightly towards the camera so that a small part of the other eye to be visible. The flat BG makes the lion standout. Agree with comments above on techs.

Hiran

Morkel Erasmus
06-04-2013, 04:36 PM
Stunning profile and expression in great light. I also picked up the green cast immediately, Russell's RP has sorted that out nicely.
:5

Did you take any of this sequence at a wider angle to show the action?

Douglas Bolt
06-04-2013, 07:09 PM
The leopard looked determined. This guy looks like he knows he's going to get what he wants regardless.

I like the color correction on the background, but the face now looks like a bit too much magenta was added.

Loi Nguyen
06-04-2013, 10:49 PM
This is a beautiful portrait, tack sharp, sweet BG, nice expression. I can't see the crop differences between the OP and RP by Russell . Is it just me?

On a more basic level, I see a lot of discussion on color cast on this forum vs. the Avian forum. I'm not good at picking this color cast, so w old appreciate a tutorial if such available. Thank you. Loi

Brendon Cremer
06-05-2013, 02:45 AM
Thanks very much all, i too noticed the green cast after posting, have made the corrections.
Morkel, i did indeed, will be posting soon.

Rachel Hollander
06-05-2013, 06:59 AM
Loi - Russell's crop was a suggested crop that would work as an alternative. I'm not aware of any tutorials on color casts but a major component is using a calibrated monitor. My suggestion would be to post about color casts in the digital workflow forum rather than in Brendon's thread.

Rachel

Morkel Erasmus
06-05-2013, 07:35 AM
Brendon - looking forward to it!

Rachel, good point. Would be an interesting discussion.

Loi - one of the ones I pick up easily is the green cast that often results from photographing animals amidst vivid and vibrant and lush greens of all shades. It seems that somehow the camera imaging sensor is picking up some of these greens as they "reflect" onto the subject (albeit our eyes see the colour naturally in the field)...almost like a building or mountain face picks up a red glow long after visible light is gone after sunset. I usually then advise that colour corrections be made to the subject only, taking out the green cast.

Steve Kaluski
06-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Hi Brendon, I think this falls into the same process category as the previous image.

I would look to pulling the yellow down in saturation, adjusting both RED & Yellow in Selective, maybe also so of the other sliders within those two channels, then add some mid tone, gives a bit more depth to the mane, WDYT?

Nice work overall.

TFS
Steve