PDA

View Full Version : Brown Thrasher

Anita Rakestraw
05-04-2008, 04:35 AM
Unlike most of the brown thrashers I've been seeing, who skitter off into the brush very quickly, this one cooperated and not only allowed me to get reasonably close but also allowed me to take quite a number of images of him. This one was the best of the lot.

1DMiii
1-400mm IS, handheld
f/5.6, 1/60, ISO 400, focal length 380, no exp. comp.

Lightened a bit, attempted to remove a green cast from bird's breast, cropped to vertical format.

Honest critiques/suggestions wanted!

Alfred Forns
05-04-2008, 10:35 AM
I like it Anita !!! The bird stands out very well form the bg Minimized to clutter and did well with the processing Would suggest at bottom to crop just on top of the oof leafs Still gives you room for the tail. Would even take a little from the left !!! I like it a lot !!!

Brian Wong
05-04-2008, 10:55 AM
Hi Anita!

I agree with Alfred's suggestions, and add that you have a nice, sharp pose. I would also add that I think you potentially have a beautiful, killer background with all the soft shades of green ... if you are not opposed to doing some clean up. Also, even with the suggested crop from the bottom (for the OOF leaves), I think the lower right corner element might still be a strong distraction. Very impressive for handheld at 1/60!

Nonda Surratt
05-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Nice one Anita! Everything else covered.

Gus Cobos
05-04-2008, 01:46 PM
Anita, great capture, composition and exposure. Like the details on your bird. I like the head angle and eye contact...:cool:

Anita Rakestraw
05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I've made the suggested crop and a little cleaning of background - is it better? Brian, do you think I've minimized enough the distracting elements of the bg?

Lance Peters
05-04-2008, 05:27 PM
love the repost - great eye contact, great exposure - nice one ;)

Gail Spitler
05-04-2008, 07:02 PM
Anita
I agree that the repost is a significant improvement. It is a great image with a difficult subject. Well done.

Gail Spitler
British Columbia Canada

Brian Wong
05-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Thank you all for your comments and suggestions! I've made the suggested crop and a little cleaning of background - is it better? Brian, do you think I've minimized enough the distracting elements of the bg?

Hi Anita!

Fabulous job, and I think it is a nice improvement! I think the revised background is gorgeous, and it really sets off your object nicely. I hope you do not mind if I repost your original, (plus it appears that you are receptive to try some enhancements) ... but you may also wish to experiment with this idea:

Since this was a natural perch, and you basically had little control ... some might feel that the size is dominating, and overwhelming compared to the size of your subject. You can try experimenting with a little PS liquefy to slim it down some, as I roughly did in this repost of your original. Give it a try!

Great job, and have fun!

Oscar Zangroniz
05-04-2008, 08:47 PM
Like the re-post much better. The softer background is a great improvment.
Congrats

Anita Rakestraw
05-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Thanks, glad to know it's improved. Brian, I have never used the "liquify" tool, will definitely have to play with that! Looks like it could be very useful! I agree that the branch is kinda large for the bird....thanks much for the demonstration!