PDA

View Full Version : Summer Doldrums

dankearl
06-03-2013, 12:32 AM
Not a lot to shoot at this time of year around my city except there are alway Wood Ducks.
A year round flock at a local pond.
I went this evening just to try to get something different.
A sunset photo with flash.
I am clueless about flash, really, just shoot and try to get a photo that does't look too"flashed".

1/500, f5.6, iso800, 600mm, D800, SB600 flash at -0.3.

DSC_5479bp7.jpg (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=129144&stc=1&d=1370237499)

PhilCook
06-03-2013, 02:57 AM
Nice semi front on pose, great eye and color as is expected with these beauties. I think it looks a little under exposed, and for some reason to me looks a tiny bit flat and hazy, almost like looking through a window...or maybe just slightly fogged lens

Bill Dix
06-03-2013, 09:47 AM
I really like the feeling of this. I agree that if anything it seems just a tad dark. I wonder what would happen if you tried shadows/highlights on the bird to open up the darker parts and tone down the highlights; and also tone down the brightest part of the bg behind the bird. (Or, on second thought, since the DOF falls off, maybe it's best to leave it as is, with the emphasis on the front of the bird??) Also maybe a little eye cleanup. But it's a compelling image in any case. I wish I had a local pond with these guys on it. All I have is a local marsh with a very skittish pair and no way for a close approach.

Marina Scarr
06-03-2013, 09:49 AM
Flash gave you an interesting effect here. Here your duck is taking a back seat to your BG, and I like it.

Daniel Cadieux
06-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm liking the "dark" feel of the image. Nice colours, especially on the BG. I'd try warming up the white balance just a a tad as I find the subject "cool".

gail bisson
06-03-2013, 02:46 PM
I really like the "feel" of this image.
Great BG colors and love the POV.
I think Daniel has hit the nail on the head with his suggestion to warm the image up a bit.
Very painterly and visually pleasing,
Gail

Kaustubh Deshpande
06-03-2013, 05:42 PM
This image is all about feel and the colors. loved it. excellent job of positioning yourself. not an easy one to pull off. Well done.

dankearl
06-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks for the comments.
Phil, I agree with you, in order to really minimize the flash look,
I turned down the contrast a bit more than I should have which has made it a bit hazy.
I need to work on flash use, settings, etc.

David Salem
06-03-2013, 07:07 PM
I like the overall look to this one Dan. The BG is very nice and the detail is very clear. Maybe a bit dark but I think it adds to the feel of the image. Nice vision! Oh, beautiful looking Drake you got there too.

vishaljadhav
06-04-2013, 02:18 AM
very interesting image, the colorful super BG works very nicely to set up the bird
i love the over all feel of the image