PDA

View Full Version : Another visit from the Pileated Woodpecker

Joel Eade
06-02-2013, 08:55 AM
Another in a series, captured early this morning. This male is still visiting the suet daily but his times are not too predictable. I was set up and ready today. The color balance has been devilish for me, I think the intense green of the scene is making the AWB shift toward magenta so this time I set the color balance manually to 5600K (by trial and error). Hopefully it will look better in terms of the pesky color casts I have been getting. Also I have noticed that this guy is not truly jet black anyway so I think this image does him justice.

1Dx
700mm
Manual mode
ISO 3200
f/6.3
1/250
No flash

Chris Daniel
06-02-2013, 09:42 AM
Wow, great shot. Great colors and the bokeh really makes the subject pop..

Doug Brown
06-02-2013, 11:27 AM
I just love the great lighting on your subjects Joel. Great pose, and excellent detail. Hard to believe you shot this at ISO 3200, but of course the 1Dx is a fantastic body.

Gabriela Plesea
06-02-2013, 01:40 PM
It is that lovely green-and the red also-that grabbed my attention and made me take a good look at this image. Even if I wanted to I could not find fault with this photograph. Great pose, great colors, great IQ, perfect crop-a beauty!

Kind regards,

Richard Stern
06-02-2013, 02:33 PM
Unusual lighting, which makes for a beautiful image. Love the dark bird on a darker background, and the red really complements it. Sharp, with good head angle too.

Richard

Bill Dix
06-02-2013, 08:24 PM
This one is really lovely, Joel. The light, the head turn, the dark bg, the diagonal comp all combine to make a stunning image. Any visit from one of these guys is to be treasured, and you capitalized on it very nicely.

jack williamson
06-02-2013, 09:29 PM
Well done again Joel, great for the ISO, good detail. I had two on my property this morning. They stayed high in the trees like they always do.

Jack

Satish Ranadive
06-03-2013, 05:29 AM
Magnificent image of wood pecker. Very nice composition,beautiful colors,nice perch and lights.Love the pose,HA,colors and details.Regards.Satish Rnadive.

Girish Prahalad
06-03-2013, 08:24 AM
beautiful! excellent details on this one with lovely pose, perch & BG

Shawn Zierman
06-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Fantastic image of this species. Perfect head angle/looking over the shoulder pose.
I also enjoy the proportion and character of the perch. This is a 10 of 10 for this species
photographed in a feeder scenario.