PDA

View Full Version : Indigo peekaboo

Jim Thomas
06-01-2013, 04:45 AM
This indigo Bunting was playing peekaboo all afternoon. Very reluctant to use a perch but I thought it was cute. They sure have coarse feathers for such a tiny bird.

Jim

D5000, Sigma 150-500 at 500mm, f 6.3, 1/400, iso 640

PP; BG NR, seperate NR on foreground, dodged bright spots, usm on bird.

Randy Stout
06-01-2013, 05:06 AM
Jim:

I think the pose is different and effective, does give the sense of him peeking over the large log.

It is often difficult to make a shot in dappled light work well for birds, but the light striking the crown/eye here does help.

I find the mass of the perch a bit overpowering. Would consider a version trimmed about 40% from below. You would still have the peek a boo effect, but show more detail in the bird.

There is a fair amount of noise showing in the log as well.

The feather texture makes me think he had gotten wet, or taken a bath recently.

Cheers

Randy

Jeannean Ryman
06-01-2013, 10:08 AM
I like the inquisitive look he's giving you. Randy makes a valid point about the perch. Less would bring more attention to the bird, while still giving that "peek a boo" feel to it. They do have very course feathers. I was kind of surprised at that (saw my first Indigos in large numbers during Spring migration).

Jim Thomas
06-01-2013, 07:08 PM
I can't imagine large numbers of them, I only ever see a couple at once. They do nest here though and I did just see a female for the first time.

Jim
I like the inquisitive look he's giving you. Randy makes a valid point about the perch. Less would bring more attention to the bird, while still giving that "peek a boo" feel to it. They do have very course feathers. I was kind of surprised at that (saw my first Indigos in large numbers during Spring migration).

Jim Thomas
06-01-2013, 07:18 PM
Here is a repost at a larger crop and some additional NR.

Jim