PDA

View Full Version : waterfall

allanrube
05-31-2013, 03:52 PM
I took this2 image hdr image yesterday while walking in the woods. I got it to this point but when I try to whiten the water to eliminate some green this is the best I can do. Using average blur, threshold layers and Color FX helped a bit. I am open to any suggestions and if anyone wants to dl and work on it I think that would be super.

D800E 35mm on 16-35mm lens 8 and 15 seconds at f14 iso 125

Jeff Cashdollar
05-31-2013, 04:23 PM
Allanrube,

I love the peaceful picture and water falls make great images especially with slow shutters. The exposure techs are fine narrow aperture f/14, low ISO and wide angle lens - nice field technique. The only nit I have is the saturation is a bit much for me,..but thats subjective lets see what others say. I thank you for the post, John and I are trying to expand the forum to included more than birds - we love birds - but want to see other pictures as well.

One more thing: the composition is good and I like the rocks anchoring the foreground,..very important in images like this!

allanrube
05-31-2013, 04:59 PM
I like the saturation of the non-water parts. That is the way it was. I lightened the image from what I really "saw" as that would have been too dark. I just wish the water was not so green. I tried desaturating green and yellow but it just made the water look blah. I did lighten it as it was greener in teh original.

Jeff Cashdollar
05-31-2013, 08:50 PM
The colors are beautiful and with the mixed light they can darken in the image,...nice job balancing the frame.

Kerry Perkins
05-31-2013, 10:44 PM
Allan, this is quite a bit different from your original, but I present it as an alternative look. I used the sponge tool in PS to desaturate the water, so all is left is white. I use a Wacom tablet so it's a quick thing to just brush away the color. As for the rest of the scene, I desaturated the yellows in the Hue/Saturation adjustment layer and altered the hue of the yellows then brought down the master saturation. I did this really quickly, a much better job could be done on the overall colors.

allanrube
06-01-2013, 07:27 AM
Great job Kerry. Your is much better than mine. I have never used the sponge tool nor do I have a tablet but will give it a try. Thanks a lot.

Jeannean Ryman
06-01-2013, 08:38 AM
Lovely photo Allan. With all the foliage surrounding the water, you're bound to get a color cast. I recently started using Nik Color Effects Pro. I have found the "white neutralizer" a great tool to have, so used that and then did a "remove color cast" (two easy clicks). I then did a very slight curve adjustment on a layer, masking out the whitest parts so they wouldn't be too bright, yet brightening some of the others. This is just to give you another idea. I like Kerry's repost too.

allanrube
06-01-2013, 11:03 AM
Looks good Jeannean. I like a little less green.